Need some help what to do next 95 v6

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
So as many as you know from following my posts, I bought my 95 v6 when I returned from being deployed in Iraq in 2011. It was an impulse buy, and looking back, I shouldn’t have bought it and got the 2010 GT my wife said I could have bought. Since I’ve had the car, I’ve replaced all the bushings in the front end, new ball joints, struts all the way around, replaced the transmission this past thanksgiving. I got 98 tail lights off craigslist and painted them and the bumper black again, but that has peeled. Not sure what I did wrong, maybe it’s just the hot GA sun. My daughter and I took out the interior, scrubbed the seats, the carpet and cleaned the floor to help get rid of the musty smell.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to fix the gas smell and the running rich problem. I’m running straight duals with no cats and 4 O2 sensors (No mil eliminators). Sometimes it smells like its running rich. Today I went to a shop to see about getting steel to build some subframe connectors and it smelled like it was running very rich. When my A/C worked and I’d stop I’d get the gas smell too. I don’t know what is causing this or even where to start looking. I’m not getting a code, plugs seem to look good, I pulled a couple after I get back home and it cooled off and quit raining. It doesn’t feel like it’s missing, I’ve thought about trying the other coil I have. Any ideas where to start looking?

I do plan on doing the following things to it over the next few months, but I want to get rid of the rich issue first. I’m trying to keep it cheap, since I may turn around and sell it to get a newer, better, or at least a GT to mess with (I got my eye on one locally already).

- Change odometer gear – it’s broken. Going to order them on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of the year.
- Headlights – see the pic, not sure try and fix or replace. If replace, with what? Like I said, I don’t want to spend a lot.
2013-12-23154943.jpg

- Make a new armrest pad, mine is wore out and broken. I’ll do a write up when I do this.
- Replace window regulators. They are CRAP.
-Fix the door panels, See the pictures below. Don’t know how to fix this. Any ideas?
2013-12-23154835.jpg

- Do the cup holder mod. I got the cup holder when I bought the car.
- Pull the upper intake, clean it, check vacuum hoses, pvc, etc. Change the injector o-rings and clean up the top of the engine. (I got the o-rings and upper gasket already).
- Fix the A/C. I replaced everything, it worked great for about a month, then between going in to work and coming home, it bled out. I think it’s leaking out an o-ring, but I got to suck it down and re-load it to sniff it out again. I sure hope it’s not the condenser, but I didn’t see any dye when I took pictures of it. It smelled like Freon when I’d open the hood. Need to get to the shop to check it out.
- Build my subframe connectors. A lot of research says they help and I can feel the seats moving when I take tight corners. I can build my own vice paying 3 times as much for them. (I have a dirt track car so I can fab at the house)
- Sooner or later I got to pull the motor to change the oil pan gasket. It’s easy enough to do, I just don’t look forward to doing it. I already did the rear main when I changed the tranny thinking that was it. The top of the block looked clean so I don’t think it’s the intake.
- Windshield – It’s cracked, going to replace in the next month or so. Anyone in Jax area know done this or have experience pulling one from the pick-it lot. I’m in GA so I don’t get the FL replacement deal.
- Body - I’m not sure what route I want to go with the body yet. I’m thinking about dipping it black with purple over it and then putting a color change in the gloss and spray it myself. The other option is to take it to the high school and see what the kids come up with.
- I want to get some stock GT wheels for it cheap to give it a better look, I don’t like the 15s on there, but it’s way at the bottom unless I come across a super deal on wheels.
2013-12-23155015.jpg

- I’m also thinking about doing an 8.8 swap, with some 3.27’s if I can find them. I’d like to get out of the 2.73s. Not a big deal now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First off, before I keep reading and wasting mine and your time;

If you regret buying it, why are you dumping money and time into it.

Sell it, never look back.

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
Good point, because it's mildly fun to drive. I've done most of the hard work to it already. It's just not a v-8, not real interested in turbo or sc it although I have learned a lot from your posts on sc.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As for your gasoline smell... I saw where you said there weren't any codes being thrown. It almost sounds to me like something EVAP related. Check the rubber hose and the canister purge valve. It's on the passenger side of the engine compartment above the exhaust header. I'd say either the hose is rotted, the valve has failed, or both. Both of which would cause the smell you're describing from the escaping gas vapors.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly is your end goal of the car?
I'm not trying to deter you from working on your car. But if you have regrets with it and want a v8, no use in continuing.

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
Deeplist, I'll check that over the next couple days. Thanks.

Orange, drive it for now, it still gets better mileage than my truck. :thumbsup:

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Here's where it's located. I would lay even money that the rubber hose is probably dry rotted and will crumble in your hands.

aimg_9597.jpg

Yea mine in my 94 was so bad it broke in half when i grabbed it to lift it up and look at it... just picked up some vacuum line for autozone for around $1 per foot and replaced all those lines.

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
ok, checked out that valve today, something opens and shuts at 12v but I can blow straight through it no matter what. The hose had been replaced already and I can't remember if I did it when I first got the car. IIRC when I was messing with the A/C it broke apart and I replaced the vacuum hose. Intrestingly enough, I don't know if it happened when I was messing with it tonight or not, but the harder tube from PVC to intake that this connects to was not connected to the intake. Anyone know it it will matter if that valve doesn't shut at all?

So I figured I'm a sucker for this car, too much time in it already. I figure I'll make it run good and then see what happens. Today, I picked up one of those 3m headlight fix-it kits. If it fixes the lights great, and I'll try it on my other cars, if not, I'm only out $18.00. Anyway, it'll give me something to do on Christmas.

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
So today, I used my new dremel to cut the tits off the lights and the 3M kit to polish them. Can't believe how an hour of so can change the lights. They definitely look much better now. Now to fix the other cars tomorrow...

OP
OP
R

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
still got the gas smell even with the valve always open since it's broken. Is it possible that the canister is bad? How are the fumes coming in?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online