Need some valvetrain advice

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Hey guys I am at a crossroads in my 2v build and I need some knowledgeable help that I cant find on facebook groups. I am installing a set of hitech stage 2 cams that I am having degreed by MHS. I have the stock valve springs in the set of heads I am using. Hitech says you can keep them or trade them out. I have a set of trickflow springs that came with the cam and dont know which set to run. Arent the trickflow springs known for breaking? The guys over at MHS claim the stock springs are wonderful and underated and there are no need to change them. Any advice from those who have does this? Thank you.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey guys I am at a crossroads in my 2v build and I need some knowledgeable help that I cant find on facebook groups. I am installing a set of hitech stage 2 cams that I am having degreed by MHS. I have the stock valve springs in the set of heads I am using. Hitech says you can keep them or trade them out. I have a set of trickflow springs that came with the cam and dont know which set to run. Arent the trickflow springs known for breaking? The guys over at MHS claim the stock springs are wonderful and underated and there are no need to change them. Any advice from those who have does this? Thank you.

Dont bother changing the springs. The guys at MHS know their stuff. I would follow their advise before anyone on facebook. A lot of guys run the stock springs with much larger cams than that and they dont have issues.

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Well I think the concern shows up in the fact that they want you to rev to the engine higher. Hitech recommends changing if you're going to rev past 6400rpm. How high can these things even rev, is it even realistic to go past 6400rpm?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well I think the concern shows up in the fact that they want you to rev to the engine higher. Hitech recommends changing if you're going to rev past 6400rpm. How high can these things even rev, is it even realistic to go past 6400rpm?

You can, I dont think it would make or break anything though. My buddy revs his to 7k all the time. The intake manifold tends to let you down at those rpm though.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Yes a mod motor can rev high. I know the guys at mhs know what theyre talking about.....he even showed it again with limiting the stock springs at 6400 with a higher lift cam. Thats where they fall short. Other than that the stock springs are top notch. If you dont plan on reving that high on a regular basis than leave em. What are you doing for an intake? Like was already said youll be limited by the stock intake

Nighttrain

Reaction score
PI heads im going to assume? The npi's start falling on their face at about 5700. Your set up is a little different, cams, heads, have they been ported? Probably 6-6200. Problem you run into....if you push it, you can run into coil bind. If youre disiplined, dont worry about it. Most drivers especially nowadays dont pay attention

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Stock pi heads. Not ported. However i guess i am abandoning the hitech stage 2s because when i called MHS to have them degreed, they refused to do it saying that even with modified valves like i have, the valves will hit the pistons.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea, youre gonna have to notch the pistons. This is the down side of pi heads. Notching the pistons isnt a big deal and can be done with out disassembling the engine. A pi head will need to be used along with the notch cutter. The cutter slips into the intake valve guide like a valve. Mount the head, rotate piston to the top, use a hand drill to operate cutter....BAM!

You got a notch!

If you plan to swap pistons, first send me the pistons and ill notch them for you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online