need supplier for LED tail light bulbs that work

samc

Reaction score
I'm in the process of slowly replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs; they all fail at about the same time, seems like. I've replaced the 3rd brake light, back up light, courtesy lights, and a few others, kind of a slow-motion project. The two outer tail light bulbs are 3157s (so are the inners, for that matter, but that's a different story). I've gotten bulbs from a couple of flea-bay vendors that just don't work reliably in the outer sockets. They might flicker briefly if I hold them just right, but that's not a good start for brake lights. I've gotten a few to work reliably in the inner-most sockets, the single-element ones, as tail lights, by carefully tweaking the fragile wire connectors, but the outer ones, not so much; and I'm not real happy about leaving it that way, it's asking for a failure. The problem seems to be that the aftermarket bases are thinner than the incandescents, and don't hold the little wire connectors out quite far enough to make a reliable contact. The bases, at least on the 4-for-$12 bulbs, are just not a good fit. The Ford sockets have plastic separators to keep the contacts from getting too close, which is a quality touch but means that I can't spring the contacts closer together.

What I'm looking for is recommendations for reliable vendors whose bulbs actually fit right. I haven't tried superbright LEDs yet because they are really, really expensive, but that's always a fallback. Any recommendations?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't tried superbright LEDs yet because they are really, really expensive, but that's always a fallback. Any recommendations?

That's who I was just going to recommend when I opened the thread. I get all mine through them, no complaints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online