New clutch nightmare / Clutch build thread

Redbone

Reaction score
Looks good! You've got some oil back there from somewhere but hopefully not the main? You are absolutely sure that the clutch disk is not reversed? Hmm, two pieces of bread a wet rag and a claw hammer, not my usual tool selection? I have an ongoing battle with the "old" guys about resurfacing modern clutches and brake rotors. I say that it can't be done, they will always chatter no matter how careful or precise the resurface job, the new metals are different from the old cast iron stuff. The new flywheels will never get a good resurface, they will always have hot spots, and the new rotors are just too thin, they will warp. The "old" guys say nonsense and resurface with mixed results, sometimes they're fine and sometimes they chatter and pulse. In any case the prices have changed so that now it's not much more expensive to buy new than resurface.

HawkX66

Reaction score
Nice job so far. To add to what Redbone said... I think I'd change that rear main seal and maybe even the oil pan gasket while you are right there. Very easy job and will save you a lot of hassle if you don't wait until the oil gets on your new clutch and it starts to slip.

OP
OP
Swapfox2145

Swapfox2145

Reaction score
Looks good! You've got some oil back there from somewhere but hopefully not the main? You are absolutely sure that the clutch disk is not reversed? Hmm, two pieces of bread a wet rag and a claw hammer, not my usual tool selection? I have an ongoing battle with the "old" guys about resurfacing modern clutches and brake rotors. I say that it can't be done, they will always chatter no matter how careful or precise the resurface job, the new metals are different from the old cast iron stuff. The new flywheels will never get a good resurface, they will always have hot spots, and the new rotors are just too thin, they will warp. The "old" guys say nonsense and resurface with mixed results, sometimes they're fine and sometimes they chatter and pulse. In any case the prices have changed so that now it's not much more expensive to buy new than resurface.

Thanks man tried to clean it up the best I could. I replaced the rear main seal after I put the block plate back on before I did the flywheel just didn't get a pic of it. I also double triple checked everything and the disk is in the correct position the disk has a fw side marking so I took my time to make sure it was all good also exedy includes a guide on how the pressure palte fingers should be straight after install not bent in or out and those fingers are nice and straight and everything is aligned perfect the alignment tool comes right out and goes in well. I am just gonna be replacing my flywheel as a rule from now on you can see the bend they caused in my flywheel from all the heat marks on one side of it rubbing that coincides with the clutch disk wear and pressure plate. I used the bread to take out the pilot bearing and a tight fitting extension and used the claw hammer on that old extension lol so that was the only thing it was used for and it worked great got the old pilot bearing out and new one went in easily no grease to clean up or anything. Essentially I used the bread to create pressure to pop the pilot bearing out.

Nice job so far. To add to what Redbone said... I think I'd change that rear main seal and maybe even the oil pan gasket while you are right there. Very easy job and will save you a lot of hassle if you don't wait until the oil gets on your new clutch and it starts to slip.

Thanks alot man after seeing my flywheel and their install period I can see why I was having issues constantly with their install. Did the rear main seal after the spacer before the flywheel just didn't get another pic. My oil pan didn't seem to be leaking, Im not sure where the oil came from but I really don't notice to much oil disappearing out of the car I get oil changes every 3000 miles and no weird smoke or anything. I am just surprised that they didn't even bother to clean anything up they literally just did the bare minimum and kept trying to troubleshoot the issues with more crappy clutch kits. Today if the weather clears up I am gonna get back under there and get the tranny in position but other then that i am hoping my vibration is gone as the flywheel was tore up and with everything new it should theoretically work so once I get the tranny back in and drive it around I will report back and hopefully everything is good!

*EDIT*
GOT THE TRANNY BACK IN!!!!! It went in so smooth it was like butter no issues what so ever I let it sag a tad after I got some of the bolts started and got my top bolts in. Bolted up my transmission crossmember and put my wiring harness back on. At that point rain started coming in under the car so I wrapped it up for the night. Now I just need to put everything back together install the freeplay kit before hooking up the clutch fork and get ready to start her up. thanks for all the advice everyone hopefully I did everything properly I took my time so I am hoping to get a great install that drives properly. If anyone wants I can take pics putting it back together but unless theirs demand this is hopefully the last pic and my install doesn't need to be torn apart. I am fairly confident every step went great and I tripled check every move.

175ksm.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Great job man. Youre doing well, and moving right along at a good pace. Youve been documenting well and checking your work. I think youll be good to go.

Also, Fill the transmission from the top while you still have the shifter off. Its much much easier that way.

OP
OP
Swapfox2145

Swapfox2145

Reaction score
Please tell me you didn't have to do that in the rain... Congrats on getting it back in.

Lol no started to rain after the tranny was back in while I was hooking the harness back on so I just wrapped it up for the night. Gotta love WA I live in a convergence zone aswell so weather is very unpredictable

Looks good! Now comes the moment of truth, will the clutch disengage?

Thanks man I am about to get under there and start bolting everything back together I think everything will be good to go should I check clutch engagement and disengagement with the car off first after I install my new shifter?

Great job man. Youre doing well, and moving right along at a good pace. Youve been documenting well and checking your work. I think youll be good to go.

Also, Fill the transmission from the top while you still have the shifter off. Its much much easier that way.

Thanks alot man I was pretty intimidated at first but really it's just like the rest of the stuff I've worked on in the gt, very easy and limited parts. Very simple design anyone could work on these cars really if you have a decent set of tools and mechanical aptitude. I have made sure every move was proper so I really think it's gonna drive great thanks for compliment I am very detail oriented in life aswell so it just naturally goes along with my hobbies. When I fill from the shifter is there a specific hole I should pour into or just fill the cavity and it drains down? Thanks everyone I am beyond stoked and after seeing the job that shop did and with what I did to remedy their issues I am thinking this car is gonna drive like it used to just with a better clutch and no vibration hopefully!

I just jacked my lady's car up yesterday and am so jealous she has the t5 so just like you guys said exhaust isn't an issue bellhousing unbolts from the tranny and overall just looks so much easier then my clutch install. She wants the same clutch and from all the good things I have been hearing after I test it out she is gonna be get the same pedal back rehab. New cable,fork,pivot ball,exedy clutch kit,flywheel and rear main seal. I am a firm believer in doing it right the first time these cars have been in service for awhile it's no use tearing it all apart to not replace with all new oem parts. After her clutch I am going to be upgrading her exhaust so I don't have to get it out of the way lol.

OP
OP
Swapfox2145

Swapfox2145

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man I got to filling it and came upstairs and saw you're answer so I filled it up 3.5 quarts then checked the side fill screw and finished everything up. I got the car down and it started right up no issues and the biggest thing..........

THE CAR DRIVES AMAZING!!!!!! My fiance even drove it and said that was what she was expecting after we got the clutch down at the shop. Everything is fixed no vibration no anything it grips it goes and I am beyond stoked!!! My gt is driving better then I have ever felt and I learned alot thru this process. Next up the new edge is getting a new clutch and then I am tearing into the rear ends and gonna continue to hang around and document all the work coming up wish I would have documented before the clutch but there was so much to do I just got it done so I could get it on the road safely. Thanks for all the advice everyone the car brings a huge grin to my face now. Now to gently break it in over the next 750 miles but if anyone is on the fence get the exedy mach 350 stage 1 it is amazing my car is driving like never before!!!

34776eq.jpg

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice work! I always do my own work because no one cares about my car like I do....

OP
OP
Swapfox2145

Swapfox2145

Reaction score
Hey thanks alot man I was real nervous as this was my first clutch. It's unfortunate the shop bent my flywheel, but I think they just didn't want to admit it or pay for it. He gave me very little problems getting my refund which I was able to buy great parts and synchro and redo the job myself properly while pocketing half of what I paid to have it done. I will never let another person do anything I have learned while rebuilding this mustang. Next I want to learn about the rear end and suspension, and then dig into the engine. My car burns a little oil if it sit's idling for awhile so I figure doing the heads will be a perfect learning opportunity just like this clutch. I am going to be waiting till I get other things upgraded but will dig into the heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online