new from jersey with a 97 cobra

zajac

Reaction score
well ive been on this forum for quite a while now just never really said anything. Just looked at tips and stuff. But besides the point i own a 1997 pacific green cobra #654 of 6961 manual camel leather. The car was my 18th birthday ill be 20 in august so you get the picture. Never really had money to do anything to the car. Lost my license because of it and just recently paid off some tickets. Grew up a little and realized what its like when mommy and daddy dont pay for insurance anymore. I just got the car back recently from being "put away" and needed new tires. So i went with a whole wheel package. Chrome FR500 rims. 18x10 rear 17x9 front. I also put Eibach lowering springs in the front and left the rear stock for now. I like how it looks and i can always change them since i have the whole kit. I also rebuilt my calipers and painted them red. Bought Motive 4.10's (not installed yet), and just got my Vortech S trim(ebay) complete kit in the mail this tuesday been working on it myself since then. So i guess i decided to go all out for the summer lol. I will put up pics of car once it is complete for now ill give you stock pictures.

But the question is. I am adding the vortech blower on, do i need to upgrade my fuel pump. Like is it a must? Im not going to be pushing my car hard always. Its the 8-10lb pulley i believe. And its something that i really dont want to buy since i put in so much already and its alot of work. Input would be great. But i do have the FMU 8:1 ratio which the guy at the shop told me to install. Thanks guys nice to meet you all i guess via internet and ill be sure to start looking alive on the forums. pics will be up soon

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice ride. Can't help on the fuel pump question. I am not sure and don't want to tell you the wrong thing. But make sure you get a tune after the vortech is in.
Gonna be a fun ride. :thumb:

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Upgrade your fuel pump and upgrade your injectors. Neither in stock form are good w/ boost. Don't rely on your FMU, its nothing but a band aid for a lack of fuel. Does not matter how you say how you will drive the car now, once you get into the boost you will love it and the stock pump and injectors wont be enough.

OP
OP
Z

zajac

Reaction score
hey guys sorry was away from the weekend here are pics of my ride i got the blower in ill have a video up tonight. the idle really sucks. :( i put in the 255lph walbro pump. I called vortec they said ill be good with the fmu and stock injectors because thats what they are set for and i honestly believe you guys that the fmu is a bandaid but i really dont have any more money i really out did it this time. 19 fulltime in college ill be paying this off forever lol. anyways i still have not hooked up the bypass because i really dont know how to yet and i dont know how to hook up my valve cover vacuums and such ill try to make a diagram by tonight and maybe someone could help me out thanks. Hope you like my coby.

stock first...

CIMG1249.jpg

CIMG1256.jpg

CIMG1419.jpg

CIMG1418.jpg

CIMG1251.jpg

CIMG1254.jpg

CIMG1253.jpg

CIMG1420.jpg

its coming along wish the pics could be better but im stuck in the driveway till i bleed my brakes lol thanks for the responses

OP
OP
Z

zajac

Reaction score
when i show u guys the video you will see im having tuning problems... its a Pro M 90mm maf i think it was calibrated to a 96 cobra with 42lb injectors. i have a 97 with stock injectors. Im talking to sniper tuning now about it.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea I had a 95 GT w/ a Paxton Novi 2000 w/ stock head, cam and a Cobra intake. I had in #30 injectors and took the FMU off thinking it would be ok and it still leaned out on the dyno. Had to go up to #42s

OP
OP
Z

zajac

Reaction score
here is a diagram im having alot of trouble with these little vacuum hoses and what not. heres a diagram of what i think should be done because i have a custom powertube and vortech dosnt seem to be familiar with this setup or they are really lazy. hopefully u guys can help me come to a conclusion and get this baby running by tomorro.
workengine.jpg

uploading video now :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
Z

zajac

Reaction score
whats up guys anyone know how to fine tune the FMU needle?

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can prolly get the answer yo are looking for, if you start a thread on the tech section. :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.