New kid on the block

C_Money

Reaction score
So i just bought a 98 Mustang GT about 4 days ago and I'm looking to do few quick bolt ons and a tune just to get things started.
I haven't really picked up on which brands are the best or worst so I'm just looking for a little direction and advice.
Looking to get..
-CAI (pretty set on the JLT)
-MAF (no idea what would be best)
-Throttle Body and Plenum (was eyeing the Accufab setup but not sure now)
-Tuner (sounds like the X4/SF4 is pretty much the go to tuner but not sure what tune to get. thought i read in another thread that BAMA tune is the worst?)

Any knowledge will be much appreciated.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Whats your end goal?
I wouldn't recommend a bunch of those mods. Probably just CAI. Then I would look more at exhaust, headers and gears.
I wouldn't worry too much about tune until you have a good list of bolt ons. Then go to your local dyno shop.

Just my opinion though.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Welcome. I have a 96 GT myself. I plan on doing the PI intake manifold, intake, headers and full exhaust. Kind of a cheap way to make decent gains. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welcome! If you like, just get a good used set of npi heads and get them decked .050", port the crap out of the exhaust, and use the pi cams. This will put you at the same compression ratio as the pi head.

amy98gt

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Whats your end goal?
I wouldn't recommend a bunch of those mods. Probably just CAI. Then I would look more at exhaust, headers and gears.
I wouldn't worry too much about tune until you have a good list of bolt ons. Then go to your local dyno shop.

Just my opinion though.

I second that motion. Grab a good set of tires, good gear ratio and a set of sub frames. These items will get you moving down the road and enjoying your car no matter which direction you go. Then get a plan together for the rest.

OP
OP
C

C_Money

Reaction score
End goal is getting as much as I can out of this motor but staying N/A. Been looking at a set of long tubes, x pipe, and magnaflow tails. Being an auto and more of a daily driver what set of gears would you think would be suitable?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
End goal is getting as much as I can out of this motor but staying N/A. Been looking at a set of long tubes, x pipe, and magnaflow tails. Being an auto and more of a daily driver what set of gears would you think would be suitable?
Just warning you, a SC is typically the cheap and easy way to make power while making the car very drivable.

As for gears, a lot of people will say 410 for auto. My car is manual, but is recommend 373.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the price of the accufab peice, you could do a PI intake and Pi cams. That's a way cheaper and more effective way to get power. I also wouldn't spend $200 on a JLT when you can scavenge a used one for $75 in the classifieds or craigslist. All that, gears, exhaust, and a nice tune should be a pretty fun car.

WhiteFaleen2001

Reaction score
welcome to the forums and i definitely agree that we need to see some pictures

OP
OP
C

C_Money

Reaction score
file:///Users/C_Money-Cash_Money/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Previews/2014/09/09/20140909-190128/QA64Bi6kQauHfvPltr2rGA/IMG_20140907_164837_315.jpg

file:///Users/C_Money-Cash_Money/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Masters/2014/09/09/20140909-190207/IMG_20140907_164714_980.jpg

mickey

Reaction score
Just bought the same car 2 weeks ago lots of good info. So a stock throttle body and plenum is good enough to feed a pi swaped engine? What if you add some more aggressive camshafts?

OP
OP
C

C_Money

Reaction score
yeah I'm not exactly sure or dead set on what i want to do first and at what stage do it. definitely plan on doing a full pi swap tho

mickey

Reaction score
First thing I'm saving for is an exhaust, cat back and a x pipe. The car is just to quiet. Then gears and a j mod over the winter.

OP
OP
C

C_Money

Reaction score
first thing i need for sure is a decent set of springs to bring it down lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser