New member from Tacoma Washington

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Hey guys my Names Joe! I just joined the mustang club. Just Purchased a one owner 94 mustang GT 5.0 192k miles. Runs like a top. Excited to make it a fun enjoyable daily. Goal is 350whp. And hopefully this forum can help me get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
Yes!! Welcome to our nutty lil corner of the interwebs!! Lots here don't care to toss in what knowledge we can share and help out what we can! Start up a build thread to keep track of your progress and pics!! We love pics!!! Show off that ride!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the insanity.

What’s the inspections like up there??

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Welcome to the insanity.

What’s the inspections like up there??

Inspections as in what? We don’t have a yearly inspections like they do in Texas. We just pay for our tabs and that it. No emissions in the whole state, so off road x pipes and h pipes are a must.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Inspections as in what? We don’t have a yearly inspections like they do in Texas. We just pay for our tabs and that it. No emissions in the whole state, so off road x pipes and h pipes are a must.

That’s exactly what I was asking. It makes it easier when you can do mods that would otherwise get you in trouble in some states.

Aftermarket heads, cam, and intake are your first steps towards your goal unless you wanna pony up for a supercharger or turbo.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Or a coyote swap! Just ask @white95 !!

giphy.gif

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was asking. It makes it easier when you can do mods that would otherwise get you in trouble in some states.

Aftermarket heads, cam, and intake are your first steps towards your goal unless you wanna pony up for a supercharger or turbo.

For sure. I like the idea of GT40 heads. Not sure on the cam probably E303 Some shorty headers off-road xpipe and either American thunder cat back or SLP loudmouth 2. With the off-road x-pipe they’re both gonna be wake the neighbors loud. I’m only going for 350whp. And all the torque. Something fun to drive not only as a daily but on the curvy mountain back roads in the spring and summer that’ll kick me back in my seat and keep me grinnin!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Have the rear gears been changed out
373 or a 410 is better
Roller rockers with a good set of heads and matching cam and ontake are good

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you want to get it right the first time, I have a suggestion. Build an engine and replace what you have. If you’re into hitting the easy button, I know where you can possibly get a nicely built 310 short block with pistons ready for Trick Flow heads. That would open the door for some high RPM fun and also give you a torque boost and there would be little trouble making over 350 whp.

While you’re taking the time to build an engine, I recommend freshening up your rear end and looking into beefing your T5 up or replacing it with something stronger.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For sure. I like the idea of GT40 heads. Not sure on the cam probably E303 Some shorty headers off-road xpipe and either American thunder cat back or SLP loudmouth 2. With the off-road x-pipe they’re both gonna be wake the neighbors loud. I’m only going for 350whp. And all the torque. Something fun to drive not only as a daily but on the curvy mountain back roads in the spring and summer that’ll kick me back in my seat and keep me grinnin!

If your looking for 350rwhp then you’ll need to go aftermarket for everything. That will mean you’ll need to make roughly 440hp at the crank Only 1 of 2 ways to achieve that on a 302, either boosted or high compression custom built with a ton of really expensive parts.

What’s your budget for a build like this??

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hello welcome fellow washitonian welcome and good question. Many answers. Your needing to achieve about a 150 hp gain at the crank. It can be done but it will cost money in engine and drivetrain upgrades. Plus would recommend subframe connectors. To get into the 400 plus hp range you'll need more compression. 10.0 or more, better heads than cast ones or extensive porting and better valve train. Hydraulic roller cam with a [email protected] LC 110 or more , to get the rpm and hp numbers Better flowing intake and bigger injectors, better fuel delivery. Good headers and a good exhaust. Then save up for the rest of the weak links to follow. Start a wish list with current prices. And figure out a budget. And start looking at reputable shops to do machine work there is a shop in Renton. DP performance if I recall that does remans of your engine and sells engines out right. Good luck and enjoy your new ride

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Have the rear gears been changed out
373 or a 410 is better
Roller rockers with a good set of heads and matching cam and ontake are good

Not yet. She’s all stick except for the radio PO switched out some years ago. I was thinking 373 for the rear end. Hear that’s a good combination for putting down power and daily driving.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
If your looking for 350rwhp then you’ll need to go aftermarket for everything. That will mean you’ll need to make roughly 440hp at the crank Only 1 of 2 ways to achieve that on a 302, either boosted or high compression custom built with a ton of really expensive parts.

What’s your budget for a build like this??

Plan is to keep her NA. No real budget yet. First thing I’ll do is eliminate the clunky shifter with something smoother and closer to the driver. Either I have short arms or the shifter is super far from comfort driving. After the shifter probably do the rear end, the suspension and then intake, exhaust and headers. Then eventually injectors, heads and cam. I feel it will not be cheap. But this is going. To be a project purpose built daily. Not a garage queen or trailer queen. Just fun enjoyable drives to work. And the occasional mountain roads.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plan is to keep her NA. No real budget yet. First thing I’ll do is eliminate the clunky shifter with something smoother and closer to the driver. Either I have short arms or the shifter is super far from comfort driving. After the shifter probably do the rear end, the suspension and then intake, exhaust and headers. Then eventually injectors, heads and cam. I feel it will not be cheap. But this is going. To be a project purpose built daily. Not a garage queen or trailer queen. Just fun enjoyable drives to work. And the occasional mountain roads.

If keeping her na and if your set on the numbers you’ve mentioned then you’ll be looking at higher compression as already mentioned, a nice set of aluminum heads with some work done, a custom ground cam, and a nice intake matching the rpm range of the cam. You’ll be looking at a better set of pistons at minimum but I’d imagine a full set of internals.

It’s definitely possible but will take a lot of custom parts and will be expensive. This is why so many go boosted. Easier and cheaper.

I’d like to see a nice high compression build. Something else to think about is possibly a 351w swap. Plenty of guys have made big power with those naturally aspirated and it’s an easy swap that utilizes a lot of your existing parts. The extra cubic inches with some compression makes for a really fun motor.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
If keeping her na and if your set on the numbers you’ve mentioned then you’ll be looking at higher compression as already mentioned, a nice set of aluminum heads with some work done, a custom ground cam, and a nice intake matching the rpm range of the cam. You’ll be looking at a better set of pistons at minimum but I’d imagine a full set of internals.

It’s definitely possible but will take a lot of custom parts and will be expensive. This is why so many go boosted. Easier and cheaper.

I’d like to see a nice high compression build. Something else to think about is possibly a 351w swap. Plenty of guys have made big power with those naturally aspirated and it’s an easy swap that utilizes a lot of your existing parts. The extra cubic inches with some compression makes for a really fun motor.

Idk how far I’ll go. I really like the 302. My brother in law and I were talking about the possibility of a stroker. He has a few mustangs. He has an NA 351w in his fox body. Makes 800 to the wheels. 100% track car. He also has two SN95s and 94 and a 96. Idk if he’s on this forum. And he has the 2019 5.0 he bought for my sister. And 351w bronco with heads cam intake and exhaust. Pretty dope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.