New Member from the UK

Limey

Reaction score
Hi All :wave:

I am in the UK and I have just bought a 1996 Laser Red SVT Cobra. It was imported from Japan this year and has full service history carried out by a Ford main dealer in Japan. It has covered just 28,000 miles and its condition can only be described as 'as new'.

Regards
Bruce

A&F

Reaction score
Nice. What did it set you back? Is it easier to get one from Japan than the U.S.?

Was it converted to RHD? I know a shop in Australia was doing that for years since LHD vehicles are highly regulated.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I don't believe any rhd cars made it to Japan, to my knowledge it's just a handful of Australia ones that were converted.

Is your car a complete "export" one? Would love to see pictures.

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for the welcome. I will try one pic first to see if it works!
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u456/Lotus843G/ford-mustang-S1775639-1_zpspiczhlow.jpg

I did not import the car myself but bought it from a man who did. It is LHD and has 1994 tail lamps so that it conforms to European lighting regs. It also has a Kilometre speedo which is a bit of a pain as we are in MPH the same as you guys.
I did have a RHD 1996 Taurus SHO that came from Japan. I paid £9,000 which translates to about $13,500. it is difficult to judge if I paid too much or have got a bargain as I have nothing to compare it with over here. But a tow owner car with history that has only covered 28,000 miles is worth it to me. The only thing that I will have to change is the Carbon Fibre look-a-like stickers on the glove box, ash tray and arm rest. It peels off OK but leaves the adhesive behind!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's a sweet looking cobra! I think you paid a fair price given the shipping and mileage/condition of the car. There's cobras in my area going for around $9,000 but have 100k miles on them

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Very nice Cobra, welcome to the forum, Limey. Keep the pics coming, brother.

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
Very nice Cobra, welcome to the forum, Limey. Keep the pics coming, brother.

I will post some more pics when I have made some improvements such as removing the stickers from the interior next week

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
That's a sweet looking cobra! I think you paid a fair price given the shipping and mileage/condition of the car. There's cobras in my area going for around $9,000 but have 100k miles on them

Shipping and insurance from the seller to the port and from the USA to the UK then from the port to my home would cost about £2,000 then I would pay 10% duty and then 20% VAT which means it would cost me about £14,000 if I imported one from the USA

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Shipping and insurance from the seller to the port and from the USA to the UK then from the port to my home would cost about £2,000 then I would pay 10% duty and then 20% VAT which means it would cost me about £14,000 if I imported one from the USA

Id say you got a deal then! Plus the ones going for $9000 around here are still much higher mileage than the one you purchased. Anything under 50000 miles seems to be much more expensive

A&F

Reaction score

You differently did good.

We can import +25 year old cars from Japan (and elsewhere) but by the time you pay broker fees, taxes, shipping it's always a $5-7k adder to the selling price.

OP
OP
L

Limey

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your reassurances. I am not going to sell the car so it is not really a concern as I would only lose money if I bought it for resale. I have had many Mustangs of various models since 1970 and my grandson has his eye on this one!