New Project Owner

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Got myself into a project recently:
  • 2002 Mustang GT Convertible with no engine (pulled due to failure)
  • Found 1997 Cobra coupe that I am going to use the drivetrain, engine is healthy 180 PSI on all cylinders
  • picked up 2003 Lincoln Aviator heads and a Mach 1 intake manifold for a c head swap
Just really digging into everything now. Looking forward to posting and learning a lot as this is my first must. I've been an import guy prior. I'll post some pics this weekend.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Welcome. That c head swap is worth it. I assume you plan on using the intake cams from the cobra?

Also I extremely reccomend getting 2 things along with this swap. The head cooling mod for about 150 bucks. And long tube headers of your choice. Another thing I would suggest is adjustable cam gears and doing a proper degreeing on the cams. Can pick up as much as 10 to 15 rwhp with this alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Welcome. That c head swap is worth it. I assume you plan on using the intake cams from the cobra?

Also I extremely reccomend getting 2 things along with this swap. The head cooling mod for about 150 bucks. And long tube headers of your choice. Another thing I would suggest is adjustable cam gears and doing a proper degreeing on the cams. Can pick up as much as 10 to 15 rwhp with this alone.

Def using the cobra cams. I will start making of a list of needs as the head cooling mod is def something I need. With degreeing the cams...I have never done this before, is there a std you set these to? I'm assuming once complete with all of this...I'll need a tune as well.

OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Oh, do the Boundary billet gears in the 3V pump housing while you’re at it. You’ll get an easy 100 psi at cold start and 50ish at warm idle.

+1 for the head cooling mod.. Cobra Engineering (http://www.cobraengineering.net/cooling mod.html) and Wonder Racing (https://www.wonderracingllc.com/shop/ford-modular-4v-head-cooling-mod-w-an-fittings) both sell quality kits.

So your saying this oil pump gear:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-MMOPG3V/mu...wa0tK9JM-JCLsWkdtJ-VKKUx6GrcT2jRoCOpMQAvD_BwE

Also, looking at that head cooling mod, which one do i get?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
As far as head cooling mods any of them work. Ill be purchasing the MMR version just due to the cost difference.

this video talks about doing it on a 5.4, but the 4.6 is the same.

This is not a requirement just a recommendation. you will need some things like a piston stop, degree wheel, adjustable cam and crank gears, solid lash adjuster. it is an investment but its one of those things you can do while its apart to maximize the power. If you are interested in more information ill dig through the rabbit hole of information i found on it.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Also...
bcd4b172bf61ce5251e24d319117127f.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online