New to here from California

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
Hey guys. As you saw from the title, I'm pretty much new. Lol Anyways, I'm just a 21 year old kid and I joined this sight after seeing what a lot of you have done to the sn95 mustangs and am very impressed by all of it :grin: Every bit of effort thrown into all of your guys' cars is astonishing to me. A little bit about what I have and this is.. Well.. Sad on multiple levels. I own a 96 Mustang Cobra. Very fun car, has had... Eh very little done to it by me on any level. In fact, the original owner had done far more than I ever would push to do so. I'm talking 4.30 gearing, nitrous through the engine... Actually 3 engines. lol :p Car is basically on its 3rd engine that was put it from what he said, 40,000 miles (it has 220,000 miles on it). Blew the original engine and 2nd one up and claims he's ran the current one the hardest. I actually don't know, he recognized it in the parking lot at costco and started naming things off his head thats been done to it. Anyways, that's boring stuff mostly. My dad bought the car 8 years ago, looked great. Ran awesome. $10,000 for the car off the lot. 7 and a 1/2 years later, he handed me the keys cuz he needed my truck. Since then, it kind of became mine.

Anyways, now here's the sad part. Yet confusing. The original owner said he had crashed it pretty hard into the wall on the drag strip. I did believe that because the car was recently in its second accident of its life and the body shop said the unibody is... Well its done. And had said it was done before the 2nd accident. Looks straight, but its not. The second accident was from me some how pissing off an old man going down a street and got pushed around and off the road, slammed into the side walk with my rear tire (destroyed the rim, bent the axle shaft) and took out a fire hydrant with the driver's door. :mad: BAD DAY.

Anyways all that was fixed.. Mostly.

Sorry if I'm boring. Anyways, I'm kinda stumped now on what to do with it. Do I find a donor body and rebuild the engine, through everything cobra in the donor body? Do I turn it into a parts car and find another? Anyways I'll post some pictures of the car :grin:

12239466_1703253109908741_3323910846257441003_n.jpg
11148334_1655870134647039_8729504430388855664_o.jpg
12418836_1723701864530532_3805265965348083714_o.jpg
12363223_1710846362482749_4486527408171608261_o.jpg
12465963_1723701867863865_8975581271446524988_o.jpg

OP
OP
EricSt1tch

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
Basically I also threw in the 2nd accident. The bottom picture is right after I fixed it mostly. And yeah the paint is... Well falling off from old owner painting over it crappy and using bondo..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oh yuck! Welcome along bro.

Judging by the looks of impact, im gonna say the car is a horseshoe shape now. Your autobody guy did you a favor by telling you the truth.

So look for another clean straight body, cobra or gt, swap it over. Parting it out is a good idea, but the B series 4.6l has lost its luster over time and is overlooked now for a performance upgrade, so your not going to get much return selling the drive train.......yea just swap it over! While youre at it....throw your own spin on it like we all do here. Make it yours...so to speak!

OP
OP
EricSt1tch

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
See thats exactly what I was thinking myself. Yeah the 4.6l is just over looked anymore. I'm gonna rebuild the engine anyways. Sadly in california, you can't throw it in a 99-04 gt (favorite body style) and sleeper it with a vortech. I knew the body was shot, even before he said something. Kinda just told him to refit the door so I can get to work. The thing I'm worried about is if someone knows what to look for on a body and says it's not a true cobra if I swap the body... I mean I'm gonna end up keeping it as is, not really into reselling it as there's one on craigslist, same color and all with no damage (perfect) for $5000.. Sucks I don't have the cash for that one. But its to say that flipping it and selling it wouldn't really give back, in fact I might lose money out of it.

I'm just trying to see what others in my shoes would do. I really don't wanna send her to the junkyard.. As bad as it is.. She's family to me. She does all she can.. If I do body swap, you damn right I'm gonna make it have a spin on it to look like she's mine only!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Find a decent body and swap it all over!! No brainer brother!!! That B head 32v with a vortech will be faster in a 94-98 anyway, because they're so much sexier!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry to hear about the accident. If you have the tools and area to swap it that is what I would do. Just depends on your time and abilities

RichV

Reaction score
That sucks.

So what's the story on a swap? You can't just find a 94-98 V6 tub for a few hundos and swap over the cobra pieces? If that's the case I'd probably part it out and buy another one. But you can find a Cobra shell if you get lucky. Contact a dude on here Racersix on here, he parts out a lot of cars and may know where to find one, I think he's in Cali too.

OP
OP
EricSt1tch

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
You guys pretty much give me hope to build her back up, new body and engine rebuild. I really don't wanna get rid of her at all, lots of potential I can see for a fun car if done right. But my dad thought to turn her into a parts car for another cobra if he got one. But I pretty much asked him if I can just have it. He said yeah. I mean I knew this body was over with, I could tell from the belly side when changing the clutch back in November. It finally had tore open in the floor pan behind the driver seat bolt and a small tear in the driveline tunnel.

If I find a body, you definitely know its gonna happen. I mean she drives pretty good for how screwed she is. I still play hard on the engine, regardless of the mileage and oil consumption (again engine is gonna be rebuilt to take a supercharger at 8-12psi at some point its life). I mean I do 6k pulls on that engine and she still rockets forward. She does however have... A knocking noise at idle, but goes away immediately at touch of the throttle and oil pressure is still good. It isn't the flywheel either. Idk what it is. I know its the engine.

The question is... How worth it is the body swap? And can somebody who's cobra smart tell its a different shell? (Mostly try and call me out, saying its a cobra wannabe)

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Check Craigs list, I see sn95s all the time with no engine or tranny go for 6 or 7 hundred around here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EricSt1tch

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
Yeah no, I won't resale this thing. I don't really care to at all as when I go to build it, I'm building it to be mine. I mean I found a green v6 for $200 without wheels. its just a matter of just getting the time and place to do it all, as well as a second vehicle.

OP
OP
EricSt1tch

EricSt1tch

Reaction score
Lol nah. I just use it a lot more and do way more with it. He bought the car years ago when he was looking for a Celica to buy for mpg (Ironically ended up with a gas guzzling v8)

But he's kinda wanting a new cobra as is. And I wanna drop from 4.30's down to 3.73. Cuz I hate how ramped up the engine is going down the freeway (she is my daily commuter). I just wanna get a new body for it. Yeah may not be the same car.. But its heart is still there aka the original engine rebuilt :D

98snakehorse

Reaction score
You can get a donor sn95 pretty damn cheap. I bought my car a year and a half ago in running form for a 1000 bucks. Just keep your eyes peeled. Look for something clean title and straight as you can get.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the history of the car. As the others have said, swap it if you can find a good/cheap shell or part it out otherwise and find something else already running. Really though, it all depends on your plans and goals, budget and mechanical ability (or friends with mechanical ability) :)

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome!!!!! and Good luck on the car!

WhiteFaleen2001

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Always nice seeing more mustang enthusiasts in California

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member