newb stuff

boosted_ford

Reaction score
So i spent a lot of time in my car today to get to really know it. i started taking apart things just for pure curiosity. been doing that since im a baby take apart things to see how they work lol. i ripped half the interior out mainly back seats and side panels just for the hell of it. i saw 2 boxes that looked like amps and a big motor. were those amps for the radio, or is that part of the motor for the convertible top? i assume the motor is the motor for the convertible top. then i took off the panel around the shifter. i coudn't see how to get the actual shifter assembly out because the shifter (auto) the orange gear indicator thing is gone and idk how i would fix that so i just put the panel back on. then i took a look around under the dash. idk wtf is going on there idk what was in this car previously but theres like at least 8 or more connectors that arent connected to anything and just hanging there, and another one coming from what looks like behind the radio. my guess would be whatever alarm module this car had is no longer there and that would explain all the connectors, and the reason the key fob on my key chain doesn't work. it's aftermarket. btw idk why they bothered putting a glove box in this car. that thing is for show i cant even fit the original car manual in there!

I noticed that when i start the car (cold or hot engine doesn't matter) the oil gauge jumps immediately to the middle. it does not go slowly from L to normal. Is this normal? or is there something wrong with it? then i took a look under the hood trying to understand everything. but its kinda confusing because i never had a v8 before. i had a 94 v6 taurus when i first started driving, but i never bothered to understand what was under the hood. so my only engine knowledge is newer 4 cyl engines. i see the mustang has a distributor (as did my taurus) and always wondered why? i thought that was only on carb engines? i could figure out some other basic things like power steering, coolant, etc but im gonna have to have someone locally explain to me the entire engine just so i have the knowledge.

i'm reciving my bbk intake tomorrow so i decided to check out the stock intake before i install the new one. filter looks new. idk if the maf is dirty but i looked in thru that screen and it looked pretty clean to me, so i'm not gonna bother trying to clean that. then i checked the tb. it looked like it needed a bit of cleaning. how do i go about cleaning it? should i take off the whole tb plentium? and what do i do just spray tb cleaner in, open the blade, and clean around with a paper towel? that's what i did with my old cobalt but i didnt use cleaner just a paper towel. i guess i should also disconnect the battery when taking off the tb? (if recommended to take off.) how about seafoam should i use that stuff as well? i put in some gumout cleaner in my gas tank a few days ago but i've never felt a difference using that stuff on my taurus, so idk if it actually works. i put it in anyway.

then i took a look underneath. my jaw dropped when i saw that the h pipes have 3 cats on each pipe. WTF why does it need so many cats?!?!? my 2011 5.0 mustang friend says to leave in my stock H pipes and don't get off road pipes cause i will loose torque without the cats. so i guess so much for off road H pipes. i don't wanna lose torque lol. i'll just do shorty headers then and call it a day. it has a flo pro catback exhaust system. someone told me its a knock off flowmaster. close enough i guess saves me money from having to buy an exhaust lol. my car is only gonna be used for car shows so i dont need to go all out max power. just as long as it sounds good i'm happy.

My car just had a tune up before i bought it so i don't know what was done exactly. the distributor wires look new that's all i know. id assume if those are new then so are the spark plugs. i hope so cause i don't feel like pulling them out to check lol. how do i know if i need a radiator flush? I didn't check the coolant today i forgot. my focus uses the orange coolant. what color should the mustang coolant be? Though I did run my car tru a long parade and it was very hot out, and the car didn't get hot at all. so maybe it don't need a flush? The power steering fluid is black. i remember when i had the taurus i brought it to a mechanic for an oil change once, and then he started saying i need this and that one of them was a flush of the power steering fluid cause it was black. is this necessary or was he just trying to get money out of me? Trans oil is fine cause they just replaced the rear and main seals so it just got some fresh trans oil. and engine oil im good. do i really need to run high mileage oil or it a marketing ploy? (96k miles) I don't think i checked the brake fluid, i'll check that out tomorrow. but i'm guessing if it's black like power steering, it deff needs flush. the car needs brakes so i'll just wait til then for brake fluid. well i think that's just about everything for now. hope you guys don't mind my newb book report lol but im a very curious person and always want to know everything about everything.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Idk about the wiring. As for the gear indicator, I don't have one anymore either don't feel bad lol. When I had my ratchet shifter installed, there wasn't anything to wire up to light up what gear I'm in. Been driving the car like that since December, night time driving can sometimes be a joy lol. The bbk intake is going to look nice under the hood, give you a couple ponies (maybe 3 idk), probably hear the intake too when you accelerate which I always thought was cool. As for the cats, I told ya mine had 4 and I thought that was a lot, 6 is overkill lol. You lose a drop of torque with an offroad H, X or which ever. If you want the car to be a bit louder, you could buy some high flow cats and have them welded in place of the stock ones. Not going to see any noticeable power gains, but sound wise you will. Personally I don't think you need high mileage oil, 96k on a 17 year old car isn't high mileage. If you had like 100k+ then you'd probably be better off using the high mileage oil. As far as brakes, I'd check the fluid. Since you said you need brakes. AmericanMuscle.com just came out with a new brake kit for our Mustangs. The kit has PowerStop (used to be PowerSlot) Drilled & slotted rotors, and ceramic brake pads. Nice kit for the $$ and definitely a nice upgrade over stock. I remember when I did my brakes, same brand rotors only Slotted, and ceramic pads, car felt better when slowing down, and no brake dust at all is a major plus, no noises either.

joekd

Reaction score
I like my glove box, holds my ipod so it's out of sight and my EZ pass for tolls

I replaced my factory H pipe with a 2.5" catted X pipe, that combined with the magnapacks catback and I finally have the sound I always wanted out of the car

Don't waste your time and money on shorty headers, you wont see any power gains from them

If you have a 96 like your sig says there is now a distributor, just the pair of coil packs on the front of the motor, I switched this to a coil on plug setup and it cleaned up the motor a lot

As for the ps and brake fluids, I always change them out for fresh fluids since you are unsure when they were last changed and what type of fluid was used

OP
OP
B

boosted_ford

Reaction score
If you want the car to be a bit louder, you could buy some high flow cats and have them welded in place of the stock ones. Not going to see any noticeable power gains, but sound wise you will. Personally I don't think you need high mileage oil, 96k on a 17 year old car isn't high mileage. If you had like 100k+ then you'd probably be better off using the high mileage oil. As far as brakes, I'd check the fluid. Since you said you need brakes. AmericanMuscle.com just came out with a new brake kit for our Mustangs. The kit has PowerStop (used to be PowerSlot) Drilled & slotted rotors, and ceramic brake pads. Nice kit for the $$ and definitely a nice upgrade over stock. I remember when I did my brakes, same brand rotors only Slotted, and ceramic pads, car felt better when slowing down, and no brake dust at all is a major plus, no noises either.

I just want the sound. don't care too much about the power as im only using the car for shows. it's on classic insurance so im only allowed to drive it no more than 3k miles a year. so power i don't really need. sound i deffinitely want. but i don't wanna lose torque. i guess like i said before we'll see how it sounds first with the headers. then if i want more sound maybe il do some cat deletes and weld in high flows. it doesn't need to be super loud. i'm 4k away from 100k so i might as well use high mileage next oil change lol. That kit sounds good if it's not too expensive. i really don't need upgraded brakes on a show car, however it would add some look to the car. we'll see.

Don't waste your time and money on shorty headers, you wont see any power gains from them

If you have a 96 like your sig says there is now a distributor, just the pair of coil packs on the front of the motor, I switched this to a coil on plug setup and it cleaned up the motor a lot

As for the ps and brake fluids, I always change them out for fresh fluids since you are unsure when they were last changed and what type of fluid was used

i want the headers mostly for more sound. i wanted to know how come it has a distributor though? that sounds like an option though for a cleaner look. i think i will change those fluids then.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Gotcha man. If you need any help with something just text me I'm down the block haha.

joekd

Reaction score
I just want the sound. don't care too much about the power as im only using the car for shows. it's on classic insurance so im only allowed to drive it no more than 3k miles a year. so power i don't really need. sound i deffinitely want. but i don't wanna lose torque. i guess like i said before we'll see how it sounds first with the headers. then if i want more sound maybe il do some cat deletes and weld in high flows. it doesn't need to be super loud.

i want the headers mostly for more sound. i wanted to know how come it has a distributor though? that sounds like an option though for a cleaner look. i think i will change those fluids then.

Headers are not the way to get sound, midpipe and catback will change the sound 999% more then headers, especially shortys. Seriously, unless you are doing long tubes you are wasting your time and money.

Again, you should not have a distributor on a 96, you should see two sets of coil packs each with 4 plug wires on them

This was my motor before, as you can see there are two coil packs
underhood22.jpg

This is after the COP conversion (and a few other small things)
underhood22.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I would take shorties over stock manifold anyway. That's just me.. Post a pic of your engine. curious to see what engine you actually have in there..

OP
OP
B

boosted_ford

Reaction score
Ohhh i thought those were distributors lol. Ugh idk what to do now h pipes or headers i keep getting conflicting answers lol. I have the v8 2V i think
yqubeqej.jpg

Just installed my bbk intake today

my glove box fits my spare change just fine. whats your box's problem?

Lmaoooo

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
If you want the sound I say go for a o/r pipe. Any loss in torque will not be noticeable enough

NCMystic

Reaction score
the coil packs are better for performance than the new cop design, the cops can't recharge quit as fast as the packs

OP
OP
B

boosted_ford

Reaction score
This guy in my car club whose had mustangs all his life told me he put custom made h pipes with high flow cats on his 97, and he did not notice any difference at all and that if i want sound then go with the shorty headers, and keep h pipe stock.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I'd do shorties catted x or h cat back of your choice.. Every one had different opinions.. Stock mid pipes are restricting as hell and quite down exhaust allot..

OP
OP
B

boosted_ford

Reaction score
Maybe il get the flowmaster super 44s and see how it sounds from there. I looked up flo pro (whats on there now) and looks pretty crappy and it said its not that loud. Meh i was hoping to save money by not needing to get a catback but i guess i have to now. It might sound good enough with the super44s and stock h. Plus i really dont wanna go catless cause its illegal. And i read that headers are very difficult to install because of lack of space so im not gonna do headers then especially if they wont make much difference.

A lot of my other questions still haven't been answered yet.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I skip allot of your short story.. Change the mid pipe it will make the most difference... Get one with high flow cats..
Oil pressure i wouldn't worry about.

joekd

Reaction score
the coil packs are better for performance than the new cop design, the cops can't recharge quit as fast as the packs

Yeah, show me a terminator that switched to coil packs and I will believe you

The COPS have more then enough spark for our motors

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Terminators come stock with coil on plugs. it's actually a known fact that factory coil pack cars with cop conversion tend to brake up at high RPM..

OP
OP
B

boosted_ford

Reaction score
I skip allot of your short story.. Change the mid pipe it will make the most difference... Get one with high flow cats..
Oil pressure i wouldn't worry about.

The only one with cats is x pipe i want h pipe i dont understand why they dont offer that? Should i just get custom made h pipes with hf cats?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online