Now what? Speed sensor?

Reaperman8772

Reaction score
New here, running into a problem could use advice on.

Had transmission fail beautifully a few months back.
Colorado, winter, carport only, have second car more winter oriented..... let her sit for a bit.

Warming up, hit junk yards..... Finding replacement was not nearly as beautiful.
(96 V8 is not a fit, no 94-95 v8's to be found)
Did manage to find a tranny that was close fit from a 99ish mustang(v6). All together, all good, I thought.

Speedometer is now reading insane numbers. doing 10-15 MPH, and speedo reads 70-80. (rough guesstimate).

So I'm wondering if I need to pull the speed sensor... is it a different sensor, or should it be the same setup, and I have a different issue....?

Electrical problems since I got her. lighter/driver's seat fuse keeps blowing, radio doesn't pick up stations. half think wire crossed and is powering antenna....

Did have battery fail and some fun issues teaching helper when using jumper cables... plus to plus, not plus to minus..... ugh....

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken the 99+ use a digital output while yours is analog. You could use a speedcal I believe but I’m not sure. When you drive does the speedo go up consistantly or does it jump to a certain speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reaperman8772

Reaperman8772

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken the 99+ use a digital output while yours is analog. You could use a speedcal I believe but I’m not sure. When you drive does the speedo go up consistantly or does it jump to a certain speed?

It goes up, but way different rate than it should. Was hoping since it used the same connector............. so guessing the volts out is different than the 95 used. could I put in a different speed sensor? would it connect in right, or would it need complete tear down to replace that?

OP
OP
Reaperman8772

Reaperman8772

Reaction score
Strike that..... speedcal on ebay. ordered, se if that clears up THAT problem. now to fix electrical gremlins........ anyone have the actual wiring diagram for this little beastie? haynes/chiltons is distinctly lacking in that department.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m no expert but I believe Ford changed the pickup completely but I’m not certain.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Strike that..... speedcal on ebay. ordered, se if that clears up THAT problem. now to fix electrical gremlins........ anyone have the actual wiring diagram for this little beastie? haynes/chiltons is distinctly lacking in that department.

What year? I have a factory 1997 Mustang electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual. It has complete detailed wiring diagrams.

OP
OP
Reaperman8772

Reaperman8772

Reaction score
95 GT Convertible. 5.0 manual. likely the electrical would be workable... unless they redid everything each year.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have a 99 v6 trans in m 94 GT 5 speed swap. Speed cal fixed it right up, I also had the insane speed readings, 40 mph was 120+ I'm pretty sure. Throw that cal box in there, you're good to go!

07GtS197

Reaction score
How do you have it wired up? Also you should have it from 3.08 to whatever the new ratio is.

OP
OP
Reaperman8772

Reaperman8772

Reaction score
wiring was correct. though apparently there's a difference with OSS transmission versus VSS expected input. something about 32000 pulses per mile versus 8000 expected.

Started with a factor of 4 to the switches, then took her for a run. IIRC, system was at 2k rpm at 55 in 4th. I thought 70 at 2k in fifth(by run, 80, not 70). first run had me at 55 by speedo but only 1300ish RPM. mathed to do new callout.... a couple more times... finally got it about right.
FYI Dip switches are match numbers 4, 2, 1,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16,1/32,1/64,1/128

Final setting that seems to have speedo match the rpms at least was 0110110001

will check versus real world next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online