Odometer and speedometer

tm8004

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt and both my odometer and speedometer stopped working. My speedometer was already off by around 10mph and then one day they both just stopped. I took out the old radio and I can't say for sure it stopped working that day idk even know if that has anything to do with it. I replaced both the speed sensor and the speedo gear and still no dice. I am planning on ordering the worm gear but before I do that I was wondering If there is another part that might be causing this.

lutter94

Reaction score
the worm gear only makes the broken odo work when the speedo works fine.

You can check continuity from the speed sensor connector to the trans harness bulkhead connector on the pass side firewall.
Pin 15 VSS + Gray/Black
Pin 16 VSS - Pink/Orange

OP
OP
T

tm8004

Reaction score
So I replaced the whole cluster with one at the junk yard and the oil is now fixed and the battery. But the speedo and odo still don't work and now the rpm gauge? im guessing I have a short somewhere?

lutter94

Reaction score
I'd check your trans harness, make sure it looks good. Your tach works with the old cluster, but not this one? Oil and battery didn't work before either?

OP
OP
T

tm8004

Reaction score
I'll check it in the morning don't really know what that is though
yeah so my tach did work with the last one but now no movement
so with the last one the oil was constantly high and when I turned off the car it wouldn't go down and the battery was always low but with the new one they both are in the middle like they should be

lutter94

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess either a broken trace in the new one, or the stepper motor is bad. you can pull the stepper motor from the old and put in the new.

Just pull the wire off the vss sensor, and check continuity with a multi meter at the right side firewall trans connector.

OP
OP
T

tm8004

Reaction score
Got it I'ma get ill get my hands on a multimeter and try it out
I was gonna check the fuses also the light on the cluster seems really weak I feel like I have a short somewhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online