Oil on Sparkplug

HiggsBoson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the board and was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions about my car. I have a 97' Cobra and when I went to change the spark plugs the other day I noticed that 2 of the old plugs on the passenger side had oil on them. One only had a little bit and the other had more. What would be causing this? Would this be from a worn head gasket? My Cobra has racked up a few miles, 170k to be exact, maybe time for a rebuild? If so what would that run me? Thanks for the help.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DOHC = pricey rebuild... even if valves were $20.00 each 20x32 = $640.00 on valves alone. then 8 pistons, set of rings, bearins, since your motor is apart i KNOW youll put in performance cams ;-) $150.00 each x 4 = $600.00... and thats if your heads arent cracked or anything.. if they are... . ... . . they will need to be drilled, stuffed, and surfaced... any major damage = welding... .. . . ..

anyways... I would keep a close eye on those plugs... if it gets any worse..... :-[

CrazyPerson

Reaction score
i would get some oil on the spark plug, but it was the valve cover gasket that was cuasing it.

oemracing

Reaction score
Depends on how long it has been, how caked up they were and such. I check my spark plugs and replace the pcv valve religously on my vehicles. Blow by on the piston rings would cause excessive oil on the cylinder walls leading to crudded oil on the spark plugs. I recommend to use a lower viscosity after 100k miles, i.e. 15w or 20w. That may help.

Guido

Reaction score
around each spark plug hole there is a rubber grommet. over the years they got hard and crack, allowing oil to collect around the spark plug. If it's not bad, not smoking, or you're not planning on painting/powder coating the valve covers, then no worries.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
valve seals possibly and also could be the the valve cover spark plug gasket. on my rebuild, mine looked to be okay so i kept them. but yours could be cracked or melted a bit.

tankerman1981

Reaction score
had the same issue and worry but then realized that it was oil coming in over the rubber seal for the spark plugs hole and it was just collecting on top a little bit..never got in the cylinders just enough to have oil on the top of the plug..soo I just make sure to keep a close eye on it...but i check my plugs often anyways.... good luck and hope its something simple and not major

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online