Oil pan upgrade needed for Autocross?

AlejoMSP

Reaction score
i signed up solely to have this ne my first post.
i have a '97 Mustang GT that i am hoping to Autocross in CAM.
completely bone stock minus adjustable shocks and springs. no coilovers.

did you feel you have to upgrade the oil pan?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i signed up solely to have this ne my first post.
i have a '97 Mustang GT that i am hoping to Autocross in CAM.
completely bone stock minus adjustable shocks and springs. no coilovers.

did you feel you have to upgrade the oil pan?
Welcome to forums
I dont have all the answers for you on autocross racing , mine is drags, if you post a new post on this a lot of these guys will guide you , most of them have the dos and donts
And post some pics of your ride

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome.

Do you need a different pan?? Not necessarily.

Would a larger capacity pan allow with better baffling allow for better oil circulation??? Yes.

I’m not familiar with the pans on the mods. Someone like @white95 or any of the other mod guys would know better about the pans on those motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will be fine if all stock and enough oil in the pan. Problems arise when you make well intentioned improvements to the system.
AMHIK.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I have autocrossed a 1992 GT, a 2000 GT and a 2004 V6 for many years, all with stock oil pans. I've never had an issue. I do change my oil and filter every 2000 miles out of an abundance of caution. It's also a good habit to check the oil level prior to every event. Most of the people I know who autocross their Mustangs keep the stock oil pan.

On a side note, you will be fine to start autocrossing with your setup. Adjustable shocks & struts make a big difference. But the most important mod is to the driver. Get as much seat time and instruction as possible.

Here's a link to my Mustang Autocross YouTube Channel. There's a playlist of "Autocross Tips" that you might find helpful. If you ever have any questions about autocross, please ask.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOEWzAT17XoeGzSWysT1NXw/videos

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And if you do change the pan or oil pick up you must measure and check twice all clearances. Ford set the stock pick up hight carefully to create a siphon suction with the bottom of the pan and this is why the stock set up still works when racing. When you make an unintentional change to design you change the suction and that will cause trouble. I have had to decrease the pick up distance to the bottom of the pan before when I change pans to maintain suction in long high G corners.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long story short
Maybe purchase a high capacity pan. Throw on a windage tray while youre at it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online