Oil Pressure drop

jmmorgan4

Reaction score
This is a very specific senario so not sure if anyone will be able to pin point the problem, but figured id try. Having a porblem with oil pressure dropping in my 94 cobra, but not in all senarios. only drop when flooring the car and it gets past 4k or so. just sitting at high rpm its fine and revving it to high rpm its fine. not sure if theres a relation to engine load im not accouting for, but just not sure what it is. oil level is fine and theres no leaks. could easily be the sensor or connections to sensor being loose but didn't know if anyone would see a major issue that i'm overlooking. should mention I just replaced the oil pan gasket. I was very dilagent to make sure nothing dropped in the pan and couldnt even get hand in the pan hardly enough to even touch the pickup tube so doubt i damaged it. my guess is if it was a blocked filter or broekn pick up tube the oil pressure would drop no matter when i was a high rpm. just weird it only does it when I floor it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Make sure your wire connector on the oil psi sencors tight
And has a good connection
It could be a bad oil psi sencor
Those I would check first

If it continues you need to get a oil psi Guage
And plug into a port to get a reading
For testing
That will tell you if a oil pump is craping out on you

OP
OP
J

jmmorgan4

Reaction score
i also should mention i have a new autometer gauge that i’m reading the oil pressure from. have it plugged into an oil filter sand which plate. might not matter but maybe could be an issue there. could still be the sensor but it’s fairly new so maybe not

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Could be that Guage you have hooked up
Or the oil psi sensor
Any thing new in a box can be faulty
Just double check

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a hot engine will lose oil pressure compared to cold. I'm not sure from your description how dramatic the loss is or if it's dropping out totally but I'm betting it's just a false reading.

OP
OP
J

jmmorgan4

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a hot engine will lose oil pressure compared to cold. I'm not sure from your description how dramatic the loss is or if it's dropping out totally but I'm betting it's just a false reading.
it’s dropping from around 50 to around 25. the gauge also kind of jiggles when idling so i’m thinking maybe loose connection or bad sensor

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yea, could be a corroded ground that gets intermittent connection or just not a very good ground. The aftermarket gauge you have I'm guessing is a two-pin connector, yes? If it grounds by its own threads then you have to make sure the sandwhich plate has a ground path to chassis or direct to battery (-). Or if one of the pins on the sensor's connector itself possibly is a ground pin and maybe its continuity is not that great.

But 25psi is an acceptable oil pressure especially as the oil warms up, getting thinner, and then you might also have to take into account that the galley inside the sandwhich plate that the sensor threads into might create a pressure drop due to an increase in capacity in that particular space. No telling how it looks inside there and if the manufacturer of this thing took that into account. Typically the lines going to a sandwhich plate are at least 1/2" in inside diameter or even 5/8" so if the sensor is located within that volume then there is a pressure drop right there. And typically the OEM sensors are located right on the oil filter housing and the orifice size matches that sensor inlet in order to preserve the overall volume for uniformity and accurate readings.

But start with grounds. A lot of electrical demons can be sorted just by inspecting/cleaning the ground path from engine to frame or any other ground in the engine bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online