Oil pressure issue.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
ok
you had the engine out
you did not mess with bearing caps on crank
or rod bearings
on that type of situation, you would need to go digging in further.

i have seen bearings slide on the bearing caps with no trace of metal, noise , ect

it may be possible when you pulled engine out that all the oil drained to bottom pan. and bearings were dry when you put the engine back in you did put fresh oil back in no oil on bearings during winter time top end or bottom end
it could maybe happen that a bearing or 2 could have failed or grabbed metal to metal no oil on bearings till strat up

hopping not

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
engine sat without oil on bearings for winter and lost the prime when pump was pulled
i have seen this a lot on chevy

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You mentioned a new high volume oil pump was swapped in. If i recall correctly the hole for the pick up tube to slip into is a larger diameter than with normal pumps. Most times the high volumes need the corresponding larger diameter pick up tube. Both tube sizes will physically bolt on to the pump. The smaller diameter tube will slip into the larger hole pump as well, but not seal correctly and not draw up oil as it should. So check this out, be sure its a good tight fit before bolting the tube to the pump.

Good luck hope this helps

Notthenow

Reaction score
Blak is correct, the high volume has a larger diameter pick up tube. Assuming you added that as well? I just did a bunch of the same items to mine, and haven't gotten to firing up yet. Fingers crossed its a minor, no damage issue!

Connie

Reaction score
I hope this is not stupid advice. I ALWAYS prime our Oil Filters with as much Oil as I can, slowly pouring, to soak the Pleats without spilling, before installing on our 'Stangs. I'm not sure how that may help on a new install, but I like to help prime the Oil System before start-up. Just throwing that out there, just in case it helps. I had to write something; I feel for you. BOB.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I assume its possible it lost its prime, how long was it running with pressure?

Connie

Reaction score
You mentioned a new high volume oil pump was swapped in. If i recall correctly the hole for the pick up tube to slip into is a larger diameter than with normal pumps. Most times the high volumes need the corresponding larger diameter pick up tube. Both tube sizes will physically bolt on to the pump. The smaller diameter tube will slip into the larger hole pump as well, but not seal correctly and not draw up oil as it should. So check this out, be sure its a good tight fit before bolting the tube to the pump.

Good luck hope this helps
Now, that does sound Logical. That's an issue we ALL may face when we change things on our cars, that goes contrary to what was originally installed. I've been there on my '03 GT,(won't touch anything on our '04 Mach1) no way. I've only done add on's on my '03 GT. I haven't had to deal with any engine issues and hope to never have to. I'm not brave like RAU03Mach, lwarrior1016, and other much smarter members on here. Please keep us up to date, I'm really curious what you ran into on this Oil issue and want you to get it resolved. Pulling for ya. BOB

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm always looking for the right answer as well
And still learning this stuff
Every day is something new and screws your day up

Notthenow

Reaction score
Especially if you go off stock. I'm in the construction business and we say " we'll eff it up, but we'll fix it".

Stuff will happen and a lifetime isn't enough time to learn all the answers to troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I hope this is not stupid advice. I ALWAYS prime our Oil Filters with as much Oil as I can, slowly pouring, to soak the Pleats without spilling, before installing on our 'Stangs. I'm not sure how that may help on a new install, but I like to help prime the Oil System before start-up. Just throwing that out there, just in case it helps. I had to write something; I feel for you. BOB.
Definitely not a stupid question lol. I Definitely primed filter and manually primed the engine.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Well I think I may have found the culprit, I took the oil pump apart once again and this time i opened up the pressure valve side with the spring and found a small piece of casting material stuck in the side where the spring is just at the top where the little valve is looks like it would have been stuck open. So we will find out once back together if this was it fingers crossed it was.
Up to now thank you all for your input.

Connie

Reaction score
I'm happy you fill your Filter with Oil before installing. I ONLY hope the Casting Material you found does the trick! It seems so simple, but can be so damaging.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I'm happy you fill your Filter with Oil before installing. I ONLY hope the Casting Material you found does the trick! It seems so simple, but can be so damaging.
It definitely was the culprit, I've finally got engine back together and so far it's running good and I have lots of oil pressure. Can't thank everyone on this forum enough for all there input.

Connie

Reaction score
It definitely was the culprit, I've finally got engine back together and so far it's running good and I have lots of oil pressure. Can't thank everyone on this forum enough for all there input.
Man oh Man, I'm happy for you! Bet it gave you goose bumps when your baby held that Oil Pressure!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online