On the Next Episode of "Things That I Found the Previous Owner Did"

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
When buying this '98 GT manual, I knew it wasn't going to be perfect. Hell, the body looks like someone parked it in a driving range. The more I tear in to this car, the more absurdity I find. Here's a short list of things I found post purchase after the seller claimed it was "Bone stock" (pic below was the day I brought it home)

stang1.jpg

-Cobra bumper that was rattlecanned AFTER installation; overspray on the headlights, underhood trim, and tires
-Cheap rep wheels on 3" spacer/adapters with bubbling tires
-aftermarket x-pipe hung with whatever hangars and clamps they could find at Autozone
-steeda tri-ax shifter installed without RTV or a gasket; 2 bolts were backed out by hand
-3 different brand spark plugs used; 1 being copper while the rest are OEM platinum

And the newest addition to the list: bad rear calipers

bad caliper.jpg

Surprise surprise, looks like these got rattle canned as well! Pads had no hardware clips and no lubrication grease whatsoever. This one had a ripped boot and a seized piston. Apparently I was braking on three corners only. Odd, because I never felt the car pull. Pads were shockingly in great shape.

good caliper.jpg
New hats and hardware put on. Note the red parking brake cable and springs on the pads...jayzus

Current state of the car, still a long way to go (headlights are next I promise)

frumt.jpg

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
3" spacers?!
Yup, the offset of the wheels that came with the car was so off, 3" spacers were needed to make the wheels fit. And they BARELY did. There is clear signs of rubbing on the front strut from teh tire

Last edited:

19mach69

Reaction score
Yep, this is fun with older cars. My 1969 mach 1 has a lot of poorly done things, especially whoever replaced the floor pan back in the 80's or 90's. I couldn't believe it when I saw they overlapped the floors rather than butt weld. There was a half inch gap, and they filled it with bondo and painted it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
post a pic of that when you get a chance I am not sure I have ever seen a 3" spacer and that has to be just a little funny looking.

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
post a pic of that when you get a chance I am not sure I have ever seen a 3" spacer and that has to be just a little funny looking.
Those wheels and spacers were sold within the week. That was the first thing I changed after buying. Tires were bubbled and down to the cords. I don’t have any photos of the spacers unfortunately

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Damn. It’s in good hands now, though! Knowing myself and mustang owners, it’s always a risk buying used. Never went nuts with my car. One car was completely OEM when I got it. The other turned out to be lowered, had test pipes, and chrome airboxes that didn’t fit and would melt the airbox filters.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yep, my current '94 was "all stock" when I went to look at. Turns out, it had shorty headers, exhaust, shifter, a pretty wicked sound system, and gears. And had been painted (poorly). I've fixed most of the issues with the car at this point, but it's always a "pleasure" coming in and working on someone else's mess.

Venompower

Reaction score
Yep, my current '94 was "all stock" when I went to look at. Turns out, it had shorty headers, exhaust, shifter, a pretty wicked sound system, and gears. And had been painted (poorly). I've fixed most of the issues with the car at this point, but it's always a "pleasure" coming in and working on someone else's mess.
Moving forward I would take a truly bone stock car over a modified one with questionable history any day of the week, even if some of the mods are appealing.

Ronnied

Reaction score
Hahaha I do agree with limited mods. Saying that I have done several to mine with my taste but done so when I part with her it will not be overboard. Nothing half assed tho. I did raise it back up a bit to ride better but everything is direct bolt on with new parts and no cuts or mods to "make" fit.

OP
OP
i86hotdogs

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
Hahaha I do agree with limited mods. Saying that I have done several to mine with my taste but done so when I part with her it will not be overboard. Nothing half assed tho. I did raise it back up a bit to ride better but everything is direct bolt on with new parts and no cuts or mods to "make" fit.
i plan on racing my mustang, so I’m not worried about resale value at all ;)

Korn phono 52

Reaction score
When buying this '98 GT manual, I knew it wasn't going to be perfect. Hell, the body looks like someone parked it in a driving range. The more I tear in to this car, the more absurdity I find. Here's a short list of things I found post purchase after the seller claimed it was "Bone stock" (pic below was the day I brought it home)

View attachment 19557

-Cobra bumper that was rattlecanned AFTER installation; overspray on the headlights, underhood trim, and tires
-Cheap rep wheels on 3" spacer/adapters with bubbling tires
-aftermarket x-pipe hung with whatever hangars and clamps they could find at Autozone
-steeda tri-ax shifter installed without RTV or a gasket; 2 bolts were backed out by hand
-3 different brand spark plugs used; 1 being copper while the rest are OEM platinum

And the newest addition to the list: bad rear calipers

View attachment 19554

Surprise surprise, looks like these got rattle canned as well! Pads had no hardware clips and no lubrication grease whatsoever. This one had a ripped boot and a seized piston. Apparently I was braking on three corners only. Odd, because I never felt the car pull. Pads were shockingly in great shape.

View attachment 19555
New hats and hardware put on. Note the red parking brake cable and springs on the pads...jayzus

Current state of the car, still a long way to go (headlights are next I promise)

View attachment 19556
New dude/going through same shit w/ 2003 gt. Only 62, ooo yea, rite,replacing everything, worked at parts store, bosses getting pissed, using my discount, car will never be rite

b1pig

Reaction score
I like to think how lucky I was. My car seemed to have spent most of its life with someone who cared for it to some degree. But they drove it A LOT. By the looks of it, mine was either passed on to a kid when the left home or sold to someone who did really care for it. Its fair to say the last few years were the worst for mine. I'm just replacing worn out crap on this one. Needs the driver's seat recovered, new struts and some new stripes. Might replace the speakers, but thats just optional.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you uncover some more debauchery before long, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online