Painted Dash and Console- Camel & Black SEM Color Coat

P.Blunt

Reaction score
Finally got around to posting some pics of my dash, console, rear deck, and back seat trim panels. I did it a couple of months ago, and its holding up well. I used SEM Color Coat in Black and Camel. I still have quite a bit of things to finish though, namely, headliner, door panels, and the seats, but so far I like it alot. What say ye?

SEM Black and SEM Camel. Also installed a brand new cluster bezel with brand new lens, multifunction switch, reverse glow gauges,and a chrome tilt lever.
20170702_120720 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Even used SEM on the leather steering wheel. Its surprisingly durable and looks great. Im still going to find a nice cover though to protect it.

20170702_120656 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Havent done the radio bezel yet, because Im going to convert to the double din for an in-dash GPS. But I did install a brand new shifter indicator bezel, and converted my '96 leather T-handle shifter to the '97 up version with OD switch on the knob. It was necessary because the new shifter indicator bezel only comes '97 and up. The '96's have the OD switch on the bezel. Also switched all interior bulbs to LEDs.

20170702_120707 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Also I took apart the shifter and OD knob and painted the buttons with Rustoleum Gloss Grey. Had to crack open and resolder new wires into the OD switch also: because there is a VERY good chance you will break the wires for the OD switch when you are removing the knob from a donor car.The knob paint is holding up ok, but eventually ill repaint it and use a clear coat over it. It gets alot of wear obviously.

20170413_162106 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Replaced and repainted the cracked and broken AC vents also. I highlighted the little icons with white just for a little more detail. Are they lame or cool? lol im not sure which.

20170401_111503 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr
20170702_120634 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

At first, I was afraid of the Camel color. I feared its boldness and audacity. But now I actually love it. Its so much more interesting then just Black. And it absolutely POPS with the Dark Tourmaline exterior. I suspect not everyone will love it, but thats to be expected.

20170702_125613 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr
20170702_125626 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr
20170411_130537 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr
20170411_122212 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Reglued the carpet, repainted the bleached vinyl with SEM Black, then derusted and painted the speaker grilles with Rustoleum Black Gloss. Also cleaned up the Mach 460 badges and clear coated them. The rear deck looks brand new.
20170411_141128 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Here is the difference between the SEM Camel and the Ford Saddle. I still need to find a decent driver side door panel. They are not so easy to find in good condition.
20170702_122016 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

Reverse glow gauges. Gotta love 'em. I put 2 white led bulbs in the stock cluster to illuminate the needles. If you take all the stock bulbs out the needles wont be lit at all. the trick is to use black electrical tape to block out any light from peaking out from under between the bezel and the Reverse glow overlay. Itll kinda contaminate your overlay and wash out the vividness. And because I wired the stock dimmer and the overlay dimmer separately, I can dim the overlay and the needles (along with the rest of the interior lights) separately.
20170630_204600 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

I think if I use one of the more "warmer" led bulbs instead of the real white ones, then I can better match the AC controls to the gauges. The ultra white bulbs that are in the AC controls in this pic make for a nice medium blue but dont match the gauges. I suspect the warmer bulbs will bring the color to a much closer, lighter blue.
20170630_204515 by John Q. Public c, on Flickr

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wow that was a lot of work! Paid off tho....looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

P.Blunt

Reaction score
Wow that was a lot of work! Paid off tho....looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Thanks man. It was a TON of work. I drove the car around in several different stages of disassembly for months while I hunted down interior parts locally and online. All of it including the dash had to be washed twice, prepped, painted with several coats and allowed to cure. Some stuff like the flip up ashtray door on the console i had to repair with epoxy. And still I got quite a bit to do before I move on to stage two; the exterior.

Defiant

Reaction score
Looks nice. The pics from outside the car for some reason pop the most to me, it's like peeking into a airplane cockpit. From that angle/distance it also looks higher class than it really is. Pretty nice job there, I always thought that color combo looked bad but now after seeing this I'm impressed.

PinkieT

Reaction score
The two tone interior looks great with that color car. Nice job!

OP
OP
P

P.Blunt

Reaction score
Yeah. I think its definitely a case of contrast between the exterior and interior. On a white or grey mustang for instance I think this color combo just wouldnt work as well. But for Black, Green,Red, or Blue mustangs it makes both the interior and exterior pop that much more. Especially on either of the oem Blues for Mustangs, this combo would boost up the contrast and stand out. But like I said, when I painted the first few panels with the Camel, I thought "Nope, looks like garbage" But when I brought the panel outside in the sun next to the car I decided to charge ahead. Im a painter by trade and I always used to tell customers "There really arent any "ugly" colors, theres only "ugly" combinations of colors." ,

SVTStingRay

Reaction score
did you plasti-dip your stock GT rims black? got any good pics of how they look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online