painting chrome rims

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
So I'm finally sick of the chrome on my gt4s (never really liked it to begin with) but anyways I was wondering if anyone had any luck painting chrome and what process they used, and how were the results. I've read up on some different methods and most of them lean towards sanding with a 60grit then a 320 and then use some self etching primer. Any one have much success with this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated as well.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So I'm finally sick of the chrome on my gt4s (never really liked it to begin with) but anyways I was wondering if anyone had any luck painting chrome and what process they used, and how were the results. I've read up on some different methods and most of them lean towards sanding with a 60grit then a 320 and then use some self etching primer. Any one have much success with this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated as well.

Its a pain in he ass.. Your better off plastidipping them. You can get the regular matte dip and put glossifier over it so they're shiny.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
subscribed!
I always see decent chrome rims, but I dont like chrome and they're always pitted.

I've always wondered if there's a way to just strip the chrome off...

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I've tried plastidip, not really a huge fan since it peals away at the first sight of tire shine. Haha

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
subscribed!
I always see decent chrome rims, but I dont like chrome and they're always pitted.

I've always wondered if there's a way to just strip the chrome off...

Yeah over heard of people stripping the chrome but it has to be done chemically so it can be very pricey. The good thing is my rims are only a couple months old so the is absolutely no pitting or pealing. I just really hate chrome. Shows every spec of dirt and for some reason it seems like a feather could leave a scratch on them.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've tried plastidip, not really a huge fan since it peals away at the first sight of tire shine. Haha

Your doin somethin wrong then. I've had mine dipped since August and they've been thru a shit load of snow and salt the past 2 months.. You gotta do 2 light coats, than 4-5 medium to heavy ones and they'll hold up great. Don't put tire shine on them! That and dip don't mix. You can use regular interior detailer such as Meguiars interior detailer.. Spray it on the wheel or rag, and wipe till streak free

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video a while back of a guy that plasti dipped his wheels, then painted over the dip with wheel paint. It's supposed to make the dip hard as heck to get off but still doable. Might be worth a shot, rather than sanding down the chrome completely. The dip is supposed to make a better bond over smooth surfaces and the paint acts as a shell to protect it.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I'm ruling out plastidip like I said I already plastidipped them, don't much feel like taking that route again I'm looking for something permanent.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any reason you can't just scuff the chrome real good with out actually sanding through it? I mean anything you paint will need prep and I would think with the right etching primer you should be ok. I would not do the lips or the first time a tire comes on/off it will take the painted lip with it but otherwise why can't you scuff/prime/paint/clear?

RichV

Reaction score
My buddy that does powder coating sends his out for sand blasting before he powders them. Call around to blast shops, I think his charges like $20/wheel. Then you can paint or powder them, powder will be much more durable than paint.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
My buddy that does powder coating sends his out for sand blasting before he powders them. Call around to blast shops, I think his charges like $20/wheel. Then you can paint or powder them, powder will be much more durable than paint.

That's a good idea. I wouldn't have thought that they could sand blast chrome off. I would be a little worried though that they may pit the soft aluminum underneath.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Why not try to tried somebody for a set you want

I've tried to trade them before but they have brand new nittos on them and I'm not about to trade a $1000 worth of tires away just to get a new rim.

95opal

Reaction score
Like Rich V stated have them blasted then you can do what you want with them paint, powder whatever. But please no plasti dip...leave that crap for your tools and for the ricers.

RichV

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I wouldn't have thought that they could sand blast chrome off. I would be a little worried though that they may pit the soft aluminum underneath.

They don't necessarily use sand. They use a lot of different media from sand of varying coarseness to hard plastics or even silica, depending on the surface. Just do your homework and find a shop that does a lot of wheels.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
also interested, i would like to paint my corba r's white

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you don't want to dip them i'd probably sell them and get the wheels you really want, especially if they're in good shape.

Like Rich V stated have them blasted then you can do what you want with them paint, powder whatever. But please no plasti dip...leave that crap for your tools and for the ricers.

nothing wrong with using Plasti Dip, it can look great and last a long time if you know what you're doing.

95opal

Reaction score
nothing wrong with using Plasti Dip, it can look great and last a long time if you know what you're doing.

Of the millions of dipped wheels Ive seen .. not one of them would I even remotely call look great. Do it right or sell them.

95opal

Reaction score
lol I'm sure you've seen millions.

Well onyx If you want to get technical on the number Ive seen. I actually haven't counted so you may be right not quite a million, but since Ive hit just about every major event on the east coast for the past 7 years.. I can certainly tell you that any dipped wheel I have ever seen looks about as good as the back end of my 1/2" breaker bar. Now if that looks good to you have at it. I prefer to do shit right and plasti dip is far from what I would call the right way to resurface a wheel but what do I know I don't have any experience with working on shit. Maybe I should go to one of those vatozone seminars that they have in the parking lot on the weekends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online