painting chrome rims

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well onyx If you want to get technical on the number Ive seen. I actually haven't counted so you may be right not quite a million, but since Ive hit just about every major event on the east coast for the past 7 years.. I can certainly tell you that any dipped wheel I have ever seen looks about as good as the back end of my 1/2" breaker bar. Now if that looks good to you have at it. I prefer to do shit right and plasti dip is far from what I would call the right way to resurface a wheel but what do I know I don't have any experience with working on shit. Maybe I should go to one of those vatozone seminars that they have in the parking lot on the weekends.

apparently you aren't familiar with the purpose of Plasti Dip. It was never meant to be a permanent solution but more an affordable way to change the look of your car without having to permanently change it. that way Mr. 98 Stang could redo his wheels in the color and finish of his liking without risking a crappy paint job and ruining his nice wheels. then when the time comes to change to the wheel and finish he really wants he could peel the dip and sell them as a nice chrome wheel. If the best dipped wheels you've seen looks like a beat up breaker bar then despite seeing many examples you have not seen any done right. I have personally done several sets of wheels and all look extremely presentable, and none of which you'd expect to be a coating you could just peel off to return to stock whenever you chose.

I'm no expert when it comes to refinishing chrome wheels but being that chrome is a very hard surface I'd expect it to need more than a scuffing or sanding by hand to make it ready to paint. If you're going to go through the process to blast the surface to refinish imo you're better off selling the nice wheels you have and getting something else. If the chrome was trashed and you wanted to salvage the wheels, then that's a different story.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Hmm I feel that you guys maybe missing the picture here a bit. I've already had my wheels plastidipped it looked okay but I did black so it made them look extremely cheap to me. I'm looking to get rid of the chrome in exchange for possibly a silver color instead. I know I want them silver so silver plastidip will not suffice, I'm looking for a permanent solution. I'm not getting rid of the wheels for 1. They are the wheels I do want (just not the color) 2. I have a thousand dollars worth of tires invested on these rims which I'm not falling back on and 3. It is my DD so I cannot have pretty much any down time on them to find another set. Plastidip is good if you want to get a good idea of what something will look like painted in that color. It is NOT a permanent paint regardless of how many coats you cake on it. I'm not trying to be rude but stop trying to sell me on plastidip because it's not going to happen since I've already had my fair share with using it. I'm looking for some first hand experience with someone who has personally done this instead of covering it up with colored condom material.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Sooo..... plastidip? Hahaha I keed I keed.... sounds like you need to check out the perfect match section at auto joke and find the perfect silver you want

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
And as far as painting the Chrome goes.... well I'm not really sure how to prep the surface? I know it can be done many people paint their Chrome but I personally have not. I don't think a nice metallic silver would look half bad honestly. But really go check out their perfect match section. They literally have every kind of silver... then I think as long as you clear the hell out of the wheels and sand/buff them they should hold. I painted my old Grand Am wheels black about 5yrs ago and they still look almost perfect. Try it out man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't see how you're going to properly prep and paint them on a DD without any downtime. I mean to do a good job you'll probably have to remove the tires and have them professionally blasted clean.

95opal

Reaction score
apparently you aren't familiar with the purpose of Plasti Dip. It was never meant to be a permanent solution but more an affordable way to change the look of your car without having to permanently change it.

Hahaha Really, you learned that at autozone didn't you. That was never ever the intended purpose of the product onyx but again what do I know... Ive been using on my tools all these years....

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I don't see how you're going to properly prep and paint them on a DD without any downtime. I mean to do a good job you'll probably have to remove the tires and have them professionally blasted clean.

Well I'm mean the downtime on painting a set of wheels is a lot shorter than finding a whole other set. I can have a bit of downtime on them say like a weekend. Enough to prep and paint wheels. But not to get another set and get rid of mine. Plus like I said already I love the wheels just not the color.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Hahaha Really, you learned that at autozone didn't you. That was never ever the intended purpose of the product onyx but again what do I know... Ive been using on my tools all these years....

It's not called dip for nothing. After all it was in a dip can before it was in a spray can. Haha

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score

I didn't mean how the product originated, i mean as far as using it on vehicles. poor choice of words on my part. I like how people mention dip not being a permanent solution. you can spend a lot of time or money painting/powdercoating wheels and as soon as you get a scratch or chip on them you're screwed, with dip it's an easy and cheap fix to get it looking good as new again. It's a lot more durable than most people think.

Well I'm mean the downtime on painting a set of wheels is a lot shorter than finding a whole other set. I can have a bit of downtime on them say like a weekend. Enough to prep and paint wheels. But not to get another set and get rid of mine. Plus like I said already I love the wheels just not the color.

I'd look into what it takes to properly prep a chrome wheel for paint, I don't think it's something you're going to scuff with a little sand paper in your garage.

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I feel like I'm watching an infomercial on plastidip... but wait! There's more!

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I'm going to keep this thread going, when I decide to take a tackle at it I may be able to do a write up on it for further reference. Hopefully I can get some acceptable results.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you going too do the whole wheel or leave the lips still chrome. Unless you do powder you will probably chip the lips paint swapping tires next time.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Now you got me thinking :)

I have a old set of chrome wheels in the garage that starting pitting and couldn't decide what to do. Soda blasting maybe?

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
You must have missed the humor in that post :)

Hahaha definitely... but the weather has been such crap here in the last couple weeks that I can't even get around to doing anything. I talked to a powder coating place and they said they can easily powder coat over chrome just as long as it is pitting or flaking and it would stick just fine for $100 a rim. Which isn't too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online