Parking Brake Too Tight

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by sleepn_sn95, Apr 16, 2017.

1. sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95 Well-Known Member

After installing my MM LCA's yesterday (which required disconnecting the e brake cables) my passenger side caliper is now dragging while driving. The e brake handle was accidentally pulled while the cable was disconnected and I believe this adjusted it tighter. How do I loosen it or reset the adjustment? Everything I've read online is just for tightening it up.

Thanks

2. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

When I change rear pads on most vehicles the parking brake almost always drags. A little pb blaster and a few pulls on the inner cable with pliers usually loosens things up for me. If the parking brake was functional before then this should hopefully work

3. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

If bedding the pads or using pb blaster doesnt work then yes there is an adjustment nut on the side of the e brake handle hidden by the console. I wouldnt touch it just yet though.

4. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Disconnect the cable from the caliper and give the metal part a really good tug to get some extra slack out of the sleeve

5. sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95 Well-Known Member

Well I pulled the wheel off tonight to take another look at it. Turns out there isn't a return spring on the caliper on that side. I disconnected the cable and the parking brake now releases as it did before. It could never hold my car alone on my driveway and it's back to that lol. I still dont know what was going on before with the cable connected and no spring. At least I can drive the car now

6. DKblue98GT

DKblue98GT Well-Known Member

Well, that would certainly make a difference. Glad you got it sorted. Car looks awesome!

7. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

What a mess lol! Glad you got it!