Parking/E Brake Cable Advice

chris86uk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just finishing off the rear end swap on my 96 GT, and I've run into a problem. I can't seem to get the rear parking brake cables to stretch enough to hook into the rear calipers.

I read in my Haynes manual to relive the tension on the cables by removing the centre console, pulling the brake equaliser towards the rear of the car, then slide a pin through the adjuster to lock it, problem is, the holes on either side don't line up, so there's nowhere for the pin to go!

Would removing the rear calipers again, slotting the cables in, and then trying to refit them with the cables already attached work?

Thanks for any help

Chris

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Caliper removal will definitely help you get the lines on it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Something else might be going on? When I replaced my ebrake cables (on my 95), I'm pretty sure I left the calipers on the brackets, and I didn't do anything special with the ebrake. I think I hooked the cables up to the calipers first, then hooked each one into the "T" that the ebrake pulls on. One was really easy because the "T" sort of tilted that way. The second one was a lot harder because of the tilt. However, since then, I've removed the cables off the calipers several times, and while it is certainly tight, it was no where near impossible.

If you are still having issues, the factory manual says to do this:
  1. Put the ebrake in the release position (down)
  2. Have a helper pull the equalizer (the "T" that the cables connect to) about 1 to 2.5 inches rearward to rotate the self-adjuster backwards
  3. While your helper is pulling and holding the equalizer ("T"), use a steel pin through the holes in the lever
  4. DO NOT REMOVE THIS PIN UNTIL CABLES ARE CONNECTED TO THE EQUALIZER AND THE CALIPERS
  5. Once connected, you can remove the pin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online