Pats issue

Alanlopezpatron

Reaction score
The car 1996 Mustang GT 5 speed

I go to turn on my car and it only cranks. Theft light blinking. Found out it was a PATS issue. So I replace the transceiver thinking it could be that it wasn’t. Did all of the procedures such as moving the key chip under the cluster, didn’t work. So not wanting to take it to Ford because they quoted me 800-1200$ to diagnose it. I decided to erase the system completely, got it erased by a professional tuning company and they proved they did so but again nothing changed they car just kept cranking. I also found out there is no voltage reaching my injectors which can be caused by a PATS issue. There is no more PATS in my ECU, but I’m still getting no voltage to my 8 fuel injectors. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before. I’m assuming there is something going on between the wires that go from the ECU to the injectors? Anybody else had an issue like this?

Thanks- Alan

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Good luck
My pick up did that once and I had to have it all reprogramed at Ford 600 is what it cost back then

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The pats issue is a pain, but it sounds like you may have something else going on. Do yourself a favor and crawl all over the engine looking at the wire harness and its plugs. Especially down around in the front of the engine where the crank trigger timing sensor is. Be sure its plugged in. Be sure the wiring looks good. Check under the driver coil pack for the cam timing sensor. Again that its plugged in and wiring looks good. You may want to swap these sensor for new ones, but id suggest taking a multi meter and check continuity first. Wiggle the wires around. Try to diagnose a break in the wire. These ecu also have a reputation for popped capacitor within. Someone else may chime in on that one and its associated problems. Good luck! I hope something helps

95opal

Reaction score
Id say either a beat cluster or pcm. Try hooking a code reader up to it. If it cant communicate its more than likely your pcm. The pats light flashes a code when somethings wrong but you already disabled it so we cant read that data. Whats the odometer read when you go to start it?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Wait, this is a 96 car, not a 99+.

Cluster shouldn't have anything to do with motor. And I'm not 100% on this but my assumption was that PATS for 96 only disables starter as a security feature. Chip in key and not directly tied to ECU as well. I didn't think fuel injectors / driver was a component of PATS back then.

Is the fuel pump even priming the system? Should be able to hear it prime for a second or two with key on. Might have to have someone else turn the key because factory pumps are quiet. Injectors usually have a common + lead and the ECU negative switches them on/off pretty rapidly. So with a MM you can at least check to see if common +12vdc is there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online