PI Head identification

Booboo

Reaction score
Can you tell if the heads on a running car are non-PI or PI? I have a 1997 GT and I am wondering if the heads have been swapped. The prior owner mentioned something about a head gasket and I did not question him about it. Now, I am thinking he may have swapped the heads out from a junk yard car. Thats what he did with the transmission, he told me he rebuilt the trans, only to find out later he replaced it with a junk yard one. looking at the motor, it has a Dorman intake manifold. Is this a PI manifold? Unfortumatly I no longer have contact info for the prior owner to ask him.

Photo Jan 28 2023, 4 51 20 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 28 2023, 5 01 38 PM.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Can’t really tell with that dorman intake. Look for a casting number on the head in front of the exhaust manifold. Only other way would be to pull the intake off and look at the ports.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Here is the casting number.

Photo Jan 28 2023, 7 14 43 PM.jpg

Last edited:

J_lope82

Reaction score
Get under the car and look up at the back of the cylinder head. It should say PI.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That head part # is nonpi heads and most likely the stock ones judging by the untouched nuts holding the exhaust manifold on. Usually aftermarket exhaust gaskets would be used too and they show more outside the exhaust manifold than the stock ones do, so with that said, it doesnt appear that aftermarket exhaust gaskets are used....further implying that the haeds have never been touched....or at least that head pictured hasnt been touch.

Buy new, while still available, factory pi intake or source a good used one and swap it out! Should open up around 15hp over that dorman. Source a real set of mustang pi cams to gain another 15hp. Swap on a complete set of pi heads from a mustang and get an easy gain of at least 40hp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online