Please help!! 98 GT got hit day after we got it

laramik

Reaction score
Some of you may know that on Christmas I bought my daughter a 98 Gt Vert. Well, the next day her and I drove to the auto parts store to get a license plate frame for it. As we were in line waiting for coffee stopped in a drive through line a young girl backed directly into the side of the car, denting the passenger door, front fender, and small damage to bumper. Also, immediately thereafter the airbag light came on. The girl who hit us was covered by progressive and they've approved the claim. The car only has 67k on it and is all original paint with zero accidents in it's history which was very thorough in Carfax and autocheck. Seems to have been garage kept as it has ZERO rust anywhere including the undercarriage. So, progressive made us use their body shop for the estimate but it was in fact a progressive employee who did the estimate, not an employee of the body shop. I say this as the body shop is a reputable one and I would think they'd know cost better than progressive. Also, they wouldn't write up anything for the air bag code as they said they can't until someone can prove it's from the accident. I'm getting a code 51 which is memory full on airbag control module which could be a rather expensive repair. So what should I watch out for with regards to the work? It's all black with no metallic but original 20 year old paint. I want it to match. And how do I know if an accident will now be reported to auto check or Carfax. Lmk what you guys can offer in the way of advice. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Photos are your friend here. Paint code UA?

A car this old will be very difficult to get OEM parts for. Aftermarket parts are famous for fit and finish problems. Let them know you'll be in constant contact to make sure it's being done right. If they get used parts make sure they're not starting to rot. Color match is not an issue with solid black that I've ever seen.

I don't know airbag systems that well to know what that code means, so I'll leave that be. Could be coincidence, could be related. I dont think there's anything in that area in the airbag system though.

If it wasn't throwing a light before the accident, tell them that and you won't take delivery til they can prove its not related. Tell them it's a safety issue and if they fail to fix it now, and the car gets in another accident and people get injured, your lawyer will have a lot to say about it. Ask for his full legal name and MVPDA license number if he won't budge.

Be a squeaky wheel with the shop and the insurance. Push the idea this car is severely low mileage and was in like new condition, and you'll expect it that way on pick up.

And get us some pictures!

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Awesome. I will post pics later today. The damage isn't too bad. They called and are offering 1400. I think that's pretty ok. Door shouldn't need replacement. Just paint. Front quarter panel will probably need replacing though.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aftermarket fenders are super thin and don’t fit well. Ask me how I know........ [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
These insurance companies are running down the labor of autobody shops and penny pinching the life out of anything and everything they can autobody wise and its sad that we dont fight them!!

Dont let the insurance company force guide you into their snake hole. Take the car to your preferred autobody shop for a prestigious quote and fight the insurance.

Again, dont allow them to drag you into their snake hole. If you have a friend lawyer or just speaking to a lawyer may improve this outcome and i high suggest getting one on board even if it will cost you extra.

However all this pans out for you....i would ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOW THEIR INSURANCE AUTOBODY CHOICE TO DO THE WORK. unless of course its your friends.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Ok so update. Took it to a place that is super respected and he's going to do the ENTIRE side of the vehicle, which the estimate only covers the door, front fender and mirror. He says the quarter panel doesn't need replacing, can easily pull the dents. They are small. Will paint passenger door and quarter. I do have scratches in the right rear unrelated to the accident so he is going to spray the rear quarter as well all for the cost of the estimate. I'm gonna do the mirror myself since I can get one for 20 bucks at the boneyard and since the front bumper is very slight he will buff that out best he can which I think will cut it and I'm dropping it off Monday. He had in the shop a 67 stingray, 57 Chevy and several other exotics that were all in for paint work so j feel very comfortable going here as his reviews are glowing and he's been at it nearly 45 years. Thanks all for your replies and I'll update with the work that has been done.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Id ask what the difference is in price to paint the entire car. Prep, paint, clear....might not be much over the repair costs

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Id ask what the difference is in price to paint the entire car. Prep, paint, clear....might not be much over the repair costs
I thought about that. Good point I'll ask tomorrow. May be well worth it.

Flade

Reaction score
The airbag code 51 is diagnostic module internal fuse blown. This means you have a short most likely at the crash sensor or airbag. Seems odd that this would be related to a small tap on the side of the car. Did anything get dented enough to push in at the wiring?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.