Please look at my slips and help me reduce my ET's

Spiney

Reaction score
Hi, We have a 96 SVT Cobra coupe. Stock suspension, street tires, no cats, h pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N CAI, Superchip. ( BAMA tunes to be installed after I remove chip)
B&M short shift kit. Factory rear 3.23 5 speed.

2nd time at 1/4 mile track. First time my wife drove 4/5 runs. This time I was there alone and got 7 runs in, in 1.5 hours. It was 75 not humid. Altitude about 500'

First run I launched around 3k and got no traction for first 1-200'. Almost got sideways.
Then I gradually slowed down my launch rpm 2500-2000 till another driver said I'd be better off at 1500. He was mostly right, but still having traction problems until I was able to change from Right lane to the left. Then I was able to drop from mid 15's down to 14.4x. I'd like to break into high 13's without hurting the cat. This more experienced driver suggested instead of holding onto 3rd gear at 7K through the traps to shift to 4th around 6K. My highest mph was like 98.8

My reaction times suck. I've had 4 spine surgeries so I may always have sucky RT's. But I feel I shift quick. My wife's RT's are very good like .15

So hopefully here are my worst and best times. I'm # 879. See what suggestions you can give me. I'm in this for fun. Not ready to change the rear or buy drag radials. I am buying new suspension this Sunday at AM show I hope. Going to lower and stiffen the ride. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

e4eze9y7.jpg

Wichers123

Reaction score
Those 60' need help. On streets you should be able to pull a 1.9 to 2.0 at best. Let some air pressure out the rears like down to 20psi and make sure you burn them good get them nice and hot. What tires are you running? I pulled a 14.5 at 94 mph with bbk lt's and 373s in my 96 gt.

RichV

Reaction score
I'd like to break into high 13's without hurting the cat.

Had to lol at that. :)

Anyways, I understand just the opposite. Street tires won't ever get hot, so a burnout is worthless unless they are a ultra-soft compound. A 98mph trap should be good for low 14, maybe high 13. Ever have you car dyno'd? That will tell you what optimal shift points you should be using. Then it's all traction, the stickier tires the better. Pick up a set of wheels with D/Rs or slicks for the track, even with those high 13s will be a challenge.

Also, go after a big national event. The track prep is always best and traction is better.

boston2k4

Reaction score
Had to lol at that. :)

Anyways, I understand just the opposite. Street tires won't ever get hot, so a burnout is worthless unless they are a ultra-soft compound. A 98mph trap should be good for low 14, maybe high 13. Ever have you car dyno'd? That will tell you what optimal shift points you should be using. Then it's all traction, the stickier tires the better. Pick up a set of wheels with D/Rs or slicks for the track, even with those high 13s will be a challenge.
^
this is really the first step to getting better times. traction is a nightmare without the right tires!

also if your reaction times suck (mine did too im a tad slow with knee surgeries)
i start the launch process as soon as the second yellow hits.. i have yet to redlight give it a whirl

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Your first problem is street tires. Although 13s can be done with them but you get the extra cushion of more traction per say with DRs. Are you slipping the clutch? You don't just want to release the pedal in a hurry.

Also, reaction time is not important unless you are drag racing from a dig on the street. Don't worry about that time yet.

I noticed you said you are getting stiffer lowering springs: First off, your SPINE will not like that. Just looking out for you lol. Second, if your intentions are to drag race, the stock springs are actually better than a lower spring meant for cornering.

Nightmare

Reaction score
As what others have said, worry about the 60' time.....good tires will always help....with a dr, expect at least a .2 drop in time when heated up well.....

Dont worry about your reaction time if you are fun racing, has no bearing on your 1/4 mile time

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Tires are Unidirectional radials 245/40/17"

I meant not hurt the car, not cat, lol. I did tend to dump the clutch, not slip it.

I saw on another board that starting out as a new driver it's better to go easy on the initial launch, then get on it.

The quick turn around times were because it was a light turnout. First time there it took an hour in between runs. I almost didn't go, because I got there so late. Didn't get there until 8pm. They stopped at 9:30. The turn around was so fast there was barely time to open the hood. The good part was I got to learn from my mistakes almost immediately.

If I doesn't rain, I should be going tonight. I hope to remove the Superchip and add the BAMA 93 race tune.

I was running 35 psi tire pressure in the front and 25 in the rears.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted. If I do break into the 13's I need to buy a helmet.

Caboose302

Reaction score
That's the size I have on my car because I got 4 for $100. That's a tiny tire. It's an inch smaller that the stock 245/45r17. Get taller tires. Your drivetrain is working faster trying to spin the small tires than it would if you had taller tires.

navarro98gt

Reaction score
In all honesty, the only thing you need to break into the 13's is practice. Those 60' times are horrible. Practice practice practice your launch and get those 60' times down. You should be able to get them down to 1.9-2.0 on street tires. No point in spending a lot of money on drag radials at your power level.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
^ he's right my buddy [MENTION=16396]blksnake[/MENTION] has gone 13.50 with stock gears exhaust and cai on street tires . Practice helps get the 60ft down and you will be in 13's . I always just let it out like normal driving and lay into it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online