My Neglected 94 GT vert

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why did you install a cigarette lighter right beside the existing one? I have removed my ashtray and installed the cupholder and would like to run the leftover power to a 12v USB charger but as you may have found, not much inner clearance under the console. Mine is a stick.

View attachment 25272

Why not install the 12v inside the console?

Slice

Reaction score
Why not install the 12v inside the console?
The console itself has a lot of Curves and with the extra switches for the soft top there's almost nowhere to put it. Also you need a couple of inches for when the socket sticks inside and there's very little clearances underneath.

badass98svt

Reaction score
No, I mean in the armrest area. I have a dual USB in the factory location by the shifter, and I also mounted not inside the armrest storage area.
The 12v in the storage area is constant power, but can via shutoff via the soft touch power button on the unit itself.

PXL_20230417_195614376.jpgPXL_20230417_195621615.MP.jpgPXL_20230417_195640344.jpgPXL_20230417_195652865.jpg

Slice

Reaction score
That looks really good but my shifter surround is a little different than yours. It has a little trapdoor flip cover for a cigarette lighter16817753434215586763590847123662.jpg so there's not a lot of room to insert what you did but I was thinking of that. I'm going to have a look at my armrest storage, I think the flip up cup mechanism might have to have its guts removed in order to put one in there.

I like your ejection seat button though reminds me of the James Bond Aston Martin.
16817752195275273624561856665699.jpg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yes, the useless flip out cup holder would need to go. My console is from an 03, so no cupholder in there to begin with for me

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
Why did you install a cigarette lighter right beside the existing one? I have removed my ashtray and installed the cupholder and would like to run the leftover power to a 12v USB charger but as you may have found, not much inner clearance under the console. Mine is a stick.

View attachment 25272

Mine is a vert also, but with auto. Putting it up front where it's easy to get to and see was the prime reason. Since one is battery and other ignition, I also wanted one of each easy to use. If you use some of the newer ones on Amazon, they use a larger hole, but are shallower. If I chose to change it to a USB specific plug later, I can do so and enlarge that hole if necessary. Can't make the hole smaller, though. I'm not a fan of the plug-in USB chargers that you leave in there. Another option I may go with is mounting a dedicated USB port in the back of the little dash pocket under the stereo. Also, this depends on what stereo I end up with.

Another option I have been considering but lack funds for....
s-l1600.jpg

Slice

Reaction score
I'm keeping my sound system stock. I don't know, for some weird reason I think it makes the car worth more although there are suspension and exhaust mods. Anyway the interior is original bone ctock good condition leather and the only change I made was swapping the ashtray to the cup holder and a white shift knob for the stick. I think I'll keep it that way except for a USB charger.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
Considering the state of my car, its not on a path to restoration. Nor is it a candidate for high value retention. I'm just going to make it mine without completely fouling it up. At least not to a point that something can't be replaced back to original.
Missed the other post about the glove box or under the arm rest.
Under the arm rest is a good possibility. The glove box, not so much. The glove box moves. I don't want to bother with making sure there's clearances in there. Plus, that's not reasonably reachable in many cases.
Under the arm rest is a more modern location and is more reachable. That is actually my planned location for a USB port for the stereo, or a dedicated USB charge port.

Again.
The whole reason for adding a second 12v port is to plug in a standard 12v device (such as my dash cam) at will from the comfort of my seat while driving if need be. In the dark. In the rain. On a bridge. While listening to Van Halen.... Whatever the situation may be. You can put a USB or 12v port anywhere in the car where you can drill a 3/4" hole and have the clearance behind it. Its a matter of personal preference and accessibility.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
I mentioned this a few weeks ago when I put the new speakers in the doors.... The power steering rack was leaking when I pulled the car into the carage.

_nc_ohc=44a9XTX8xMYAX8ht-6w&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg

Like pouring out. It seemed like maybe it had leaked past the seal and into the boot. When I began turning the wheels it pumped the fluid out onto the driveway and floor. I popped the boot off and wiped everything out. I then refilled the reservoir and it hasn't really seemed to leak down since then. I was thinking of looking a bottle of that power steering stop leak or seal conditioner. Curious if anyone found this a good insurance or "fix" for a neglected car.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You're so much better off getting new seals and whatnot. Or perhaps a full inspection/rebuild. How many miles on it?

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
You're so much better off getting new seals and whatnot. Or perhaps a full inspection/rebuild. How many miles on it?
173,000 miles on the odometer. No idea if the rack is original or not. After a little drive today, still not leaking that I can see, though.

Short day at work today. Brought home some pizza for the family and then went to work on the car. I pulled the factory "premium" amp from under the dash. I found an actual pin-out for the whole stereo on a google search. Turned up on some pintrest list. But. It was highly accurate and perfectly matched my car. I tested the speaker pairs with an old d-cell battery we had laying in a drawer.

_nc_ohc=XdXc4NUlzhYAX_gMae8&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=1_brtUmaWzkAX8gk-Sh&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=3sZppAfLIuAAX9GTv54&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

JH4r9SsDAuD-1P1HNHZalTeb1Ax&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

I found that it was easier to work on by pulling the harness into the driver's foot well. Rear speakers were (for now) ran to the stereo's rear output. New Skar speakers were connected to the new Skar amp resting quietly in the trunk. I trimmed the amp a little and left it on full range. Now, I just need to build a box for my sub and call it a day. But.... I honestly will probably build a cheap "square" out of some wood and let it go for a while. Later on, I'll build the formed box that I have in my brain, but I still have not decided if I want to use epoxy or polyester resin. Decisions, decisions.

Checkin out my high tech stuff in my low tech car.
_nc_ohc=b7A-jyJXhDAAX-7NCS8&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

On a side note, I did confirm that the ABS works. Lady in a big crew cab long bed 1 ton truck hauling a trailer that looked to be around 20-25 feet was turning onto my road at a cut-back intersection. It's a tight one. There's also a dirt road within 30ft of the main intersection, so there's dirt and gravel on the asphalt... no hate to the lady in the truck. I just braked hard to make sure she had room to get off the main road. In the time I've had the car, I haven't pushed it hard. I took it to a back road and ran a "torque test". Pretty decent little burn-down with little rear effort.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
Got back from an out of town work trip on Saturday. The new hoses had been waiting on me all week. Got them installed on the car without much fuss. Refilled the coolant. Purged thoroughly.... aaaannnnd went for a drive. Once again, all is well.
Still waiting to finish my trunk stuff.

optionizerSS

Reaction score
We have a '95 GT convertible and I swapped out the ashtray for the newer cupholder. Was planning to relocate the cigarette lighter but haven't found a good place to put it. I like some of the ideas here. Will start looking again.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
We have a '95 GT convertible and I swapped out the ashtray for the newer cupholder. Was planning to relocate the cigarette lighter but haven't found a good place to put it. I like some of the ideas here. Will start looking again.
There are certainly some good ones. Hidden inside the armrest is a great one... and one I might adopt as well as an additional charging port, or a USB specific port. My Jeep and Ram trucks and all my work vehicles have had both battery and ignition powered 12v outlets on the center console in some manner. I've gotten spoiled to it. My wife has had two Audis and they seem to like putting them inside the armrest. Kind or a PITA in some ways (like if you actually use the console to store stuff), but its always an option.

GTamas

Reaction score
I'm keeping my sound system stock.
I want to keep mine looking stock too and jeep the cassette player functional, but I am adding to it now Bluetooth interface and aux input. Also replacing speakers and putting a small amo in the spare tire well. I'm working on it now, hopefully I will finish tomorrow.

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I have a 2018 2500 Ram with the full length console and it has a cigarette lighter in the front part storage 'box' and 2 USB ports inside the console. My wife has a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek and it has a cigarette lighter near the front and 1 or 2 USB ports inside the console too. We have dash cams in both vehicles so they plug into the cigarette lighters but we use the USB ports for phones. I'd like to keep the Mustang the same, 1 cigarette lighter and 1 port for USB, although a 2nd cigarette lighter might be a good option so I can plug in a dashcam and a GPS then have the option of plugging in a 2 port USB plug into the cigarette lighter.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
What's the reason? Because they stay on all the time an might drain the battery?
Because they produce heat and have been the cause of vehicle fires all through the USA....
Do they all cause a fire? No... but if I don't use them, then I don't have that problem. :cool:
Side note that I live in the south where heat/humidity is a problem already.

95SN95

Reaction score

View attachment 25272
Sorry to hijack the thread but where did you get the cup holder that goes where the ashtray is?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online