ported heads and cams

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i have the opportunity to buy some ported pi heads with custom grind cams. the specs on the cam are 225 intake 230 exhaust at .050 with .550 lift and 113 lobe sep. so its basically ported pi heads assembled with comp 262 cams all for $800. he said he was makin 310 hp to the wheels with exhaust and plenum combo. i thought thid was a real good deal. what do you guys think? how realistic do you think 310hp is?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
with just the mods you said he has.. i see him making no more than 285-290 at the wheels. i've got friends w/ every bolt on you can get w/ custom NA cams and stage 1 ported heads doing 290ish at the wheels on a good day.

Also, find out who did the porting on the heads and what make cams they are. If the cams are regrind i wouldn't get them but thats just my opinion.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good setup.
Numbers fluxuate, loaded, or non loaded dyno, temperature ect.

basically you should gain around 90 HP from ported heads/cams over the stock NPI stuff.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
they have a smaller base circle to get the required lift, duration and lobe sep angle, so some of them require shimming of the lash adjusters to get the clearance right.

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
so they are just not very dependable? they already come assembled if thats what you were thinking of.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if their built right, they should be fine. just a longer valve.
what heads are they?

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
they are just pi heads that have been worked. he doesnt know a lot of info on them and im still trying to figure out all the specs. he emailed me the other day and asked if i was interested cause i bought something from him in the past. i just emailed him to see how many miles were on them but no response yet. he said they were ported by powerheads. :dunno:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay, then your in great shape.
My heads are ported by powerheads.
The aftermarket will be finding out more about Powerheads later this year.
If you didn't see it, they are a new sponsor of our forum.

Here's teh info on the heads:

http://www.powerheads.com/headswap.html

from the site:
Competition porting, competition valve job, Ferrea SS forged valves,
7000 rpm spring package, flow bench testedâ€â€professionally assembled
All cams are “re-engineered†and come with our custom lash correction caps

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, retail for stage 2 ported heads and cams is over 3K
if their in good shape, ya it sounds like a good deal.

you'll also need a head changing kit and coolant crossover tube.

BTW, I gained 95 RWHP from mine over the NPI stuff.
I've said that a million times, but I did a before and after dyno, and that's what I got. I'm also at 4200 ft. elevation!
torque moves up in the rpm scale also. compression also goes up, but don't sweat that, it's NOT a big deal, so long as you get a good tune.
you NEEEED a good tune.

Hope that's helpfull info, and you can also call Ralph if you want.

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah, the guy said ralph is the one that did the work. i was going to put pi heads on a while back but when i got the heads they were shit so i held off and just put on the intake for now. so i have all the gaskets and everything. still trying to decide if i can swing that kinda cash over the summer though. i figure $800 for the heads and $500 for a chip and tune. might have to hold off but its almost too good of a deal to pass up. so would i be able to make a 60 mile drive to the tuner? i figured i'd be able to drive it without a tune but would see much better gains with one.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
there again call or PM ralph.
I dont think they recommend you drive it far since the cam is different it needs a tune.

I'd get them, sounds like a sweet deal.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81