Possible stripped Thermastat housing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by caseypayne69, Sep 25, 2006.

1. caseypayne69

caseypayne69 Active Member

I tried a 10 mm socket on my T stat housing, yet it jumps off. Am I using the right size? 9mm is too small. And they just wont turn.

2. SvtBlack95

SvtBlack95 Well-Known Member

you might be able to get it off if you have small needle nose vise gripps then get a new bolt

3. Ender

Ender Member

10mm is the right size, sounds like yours are rounded off.

4. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

If you have any old 12pt sockets you don't give a crap about, you can take one that is JUST BARELY too small and poun it on there with a hammer. The socket will "bite" into the sides of the bolt head. I've used this to get security lugs off of cars that lost the "key."

5. caseypayne69

Ryclef331 nice to see someone else that took their side skirts off. I love mine without.

6. ryclef331

thanks man :thumb:

7. Twista

Twista Legend

10mm is the correct size for the thermostat bolts

8. 97WhitePony

97WhitePony Active Member

9. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

sounds good :D

10. caseypayne69

Finished putting my new drilled and slotted rotars. Back pistons would not budge, so we hammered them in. But as I was putting on my wheels my buddy ways taking off the bolts to the t Stat housing. Half of one bolt got broke off. How much is gonna cost me? Whats my options on getting this broken bolt out?

11. Ender

Ender Member

I used this to remove a broken intake bolt. You may also need a tap to clean up the treads, if I remember right it's an M10x1.5. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably need new rear brake caipers too. The pistons are supposed to be turned in, if you hammered them straight down then they are now broken.

12. caseypayne69

Not sureif the bolt is flush to grab yet, or if it's deep inside. Either way I don't care right now. But thats a neat kit, and i'm sure it is great. I was really wanting to either A get out of college and buy a svo motor for this, or buy a 04 Cobra. I could buy a 99-04 GT with low miles and use my cars performance parts on it. But don't want to buy a 2v, unless it's sporting the svo heads.

13. 95KBGT

95KBGT Legend

i thought you meant the hole the bolt goes into...i was like oh no. thats number 2 on the list of worst holes to strip on a motor, number 1 is spark plug hole. :noes:

14. ryclef331

HE's RIGHT!!!! CHECK YOUR REAR BRAKES CALIPERS!!!! The pucks SCREW back in...NOT pressed. They make a "cube" shaped tool you can get at advanced auto parts to screw them back in with a ratchet. again, CHECK YOUR REAR BRAKES!

15. Fryrice

Fryrice Active Member

Holy shit bro,you hammered in your fuckin piston ? Thats unreal,lmao. Dude,buy a Hanes manual,lol. You and your buddy are beast's bro.

16. caseypayne69

lol, I got one, they are about as detailed as paint on the wall. I agree with End, the calipers are probably shot. Gonna fix the intake, fuel pump, and new rear calipers. This car isn't worth doing all this. Soon as I get out of college i'm keeping this car to make it my beater. Probably buy a 04 Cobra or newer GT.