Dizzy Gear Removal

Wmac

Reaction score
I mentioned a day or 2 ago in another thread, that the distributor gear could be removed with a small bearing splitter. So for those that are maybe curious I thought WTH, here's a how to with some pics.

First, mark the location of the gear pin to the dizzy shaft at the base of the housing and at the end of the shaft. I use a paint pen.
Next punch out the pin. Takes a 1/8" pin punch. Knock it all the way through, catch the pin/don't lose it. And don't try and pull it with vice grips, etc. You do not want to burr the pin.
Then punch out the pin on the collar below the housing.
Assemble the bearing puller as shown. Have all threaded pieces snug, not loose and off-centre. Put some grease on the puller shaft threads, slowly install the shaft into the cross bridge, centre into the end of your dizzy and slowly and carefully tighten it as it pulls the gear off.
With the gear and collar removed, pull the shaft out of the housing and replace your PIP.
Reinstall in reverse order.

Note that I put the dizzy in a vice with soft jaws. With the rotor, cap and cap adapter removed and new pip in place, I turn the dizzy upside down in the vice, put a small block of wood under the shaft end so as not to damage the end that the rotor fits on. Then lined my my marks, the collar goes on first (not a press fit), then carefully tapped the gear with a soft face hammer to start. Once partially in place (and lined up), use a socket to drive the gear into place. Go slowly, you need to line the holes up. Then install both pins.

If I have made any errors here or someone has other thoughts, please jump right in with your ideas.
20230903_133541.jpg20230903_133557.jpg20230903_134451.jpg20230903_135824.jpg20230903_140333.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Looks good to me
Gear is the way it should be
Just make sure the pin is not sticking out on both sides and it is tight so it don't come out

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ill admit, i have never remover a distributor gear. This write up is very clear and detailed, thank you

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Check the distributor gear for the number of teeth. If it is an even number of teeth then no problem.
if it is an odd number of teeth then it should be reinstalled in the same orientation. If an odd number and it has been removed without marking the orientation then when reinstalling the distributor the orientation may be different than before removing to get back to proper timing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online