Power steering pump SN95

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack someone else's post about power steering noise so here goes. When I got my sn95 a few years back I checked all fluids, changed the oil and filter etc. From time to time I checked fluids , changed air filter etc. One day a few months ago I was checking fluids and when I got into the power steering reservoir and looked closely the oil was very black. I removed the fluid with my suction pump and refilled, a few days later it was still black so did the suction thing again...there is a simple way to drain the system by disconnecting the lines beneath, but I decided for a few cupfulls of power steering fluid I would suction and refill until the fluid had an acceptable colour. I did this four times and finally had reddish/clear fluid. I added a small amount of PS stop leak. The pump was never what I would call noisy but it does seem to be much quieter. I 'm guessing that the fluid (by its colour) had never been changed in the 23 years of the car. I did the rear differential fluid change as well and I know the tranny was just changed by the gentleman I bought the car from. I now run synthetic in the crankcase. Perhaps noisy pumps can be quieted by a fluid change , keeping in mind other issues that can occur with Ford PS pumps. I used less than a quart and a half of fresh fluid to do the job , about $8 all told and I still have enough fluid to suck it out and refill it again.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'm assuming the thread you're referring was mine. Definetly wouldn't have been a hijack if you replied with this. Useful info.

Do you happen to know how to drain it from the bottom? I am going to be flushing all my fluids (brakes, coolant, power steering) and dont want to have to suck out and replace the power steering multiple times

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, On YouTube there is a video on how to do this , fairly easy. Type in Mustang , Power Steering fluid change. You can see the whole process

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack someone else's post about power steering noise so here goes. When I got my sn95 a few years back I checked all fluids, changed the oil and filter etc. From time to time I checked fluids , changed air filter etc. One day a few months ago I was checking fluids and when I got into the power steering reservoir and looked closely the oil was very black. I removed the fluid with my suction pump and refilled, a few days later it was still black so did the suction thing again...there is a simple way to drain the system by disconnecting the lines beneath, but I decided for a few cupfulls of power steering fluid I would suction and refill until the fluid had an acceptable colour. I did this four times and finally had reddish/clear fluid. I added a small amount of PS stop leak. The pump was never what I would call noisy but it does seem to be much quieter. I 'm guessing that the fluid (by its colour) had never been changed in the 23 years of the car. I did the rear differential fluid change as well and I know the tranny was just changed by the gentleman I bought the car from. I now run synthetic in the crankcase. Perhaps noisy pumps can be quieted by a fluid change , keeping in mind other issues that can occur with Ford PS pumps. I used less than a quart and a half of fresh fluid to do the job , about $8 all told and I still have enough fluid to suck it out and refill it again.
Good to hear about this technique. What PS fluid did you use?