TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
TheBab said:
yup cause 10s are lame! :hammer:

[sarcasm]

lol... still fast!

Not fast enough . . lol.

I'm gonna throw some tuning at it, see where it sits, and then spray the everloving crap out of it. :comando:

G

GREG@SN95

I predict when you you hit 60mph you will break the space time continuum and get sent into another time period...

better hope that RICERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR wing is bolted on real good n tight

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
95Boss wins the pen.

The car ran like poo poo . . . it's pig rich, not enough timing, and I still can't get the oil to stop filling up the valve covers.

It ran 10.26 @ 131 right off the trailer . . when I wasn't "trying" to go fast.

Best I got after that . . when I WAS trying to go fast was 10.34@134

I gotta pull the plugs and see what the hell is going on . . . then re jet the injectors and bump the timing up to 40 (from 36)

I'm frustrated as HELL!!!!!! :rant:

I had some high hopes for you. I guess I was smoking some of SRT Handz good stuff.

Filling the valve covers with oil is very bad. You need to cut the volume on your oil pump. Do you have a High Volume or a High Presure pump? How big of an oil pan do you have?

When I was racing my 68Gt, my engine builder recomended that I use the stock size oil pan. No more than 6 qts. He also used a high presure oil pump instead of a high volume oil pump so I would not have the problems you are having.

That said I was running a 428CJ that only turned 6200 rpm, I was not shifting at 8000 like you are.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
10.34 feels like riding in a bus huh lol well no rides for you in my cars because it would probley feel like your riding a snail lol

i know its disapointing to not be at your goal of 9 sec. mark but your very close and low 10's arent terrible a lot of people would love to be where your at.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
TRUUBLE said:
95Boss wins the pen.

The car ran like poo poo . . . it's pig rich, not enough timing, and I still can't get the oil to stop filling up the valve covers.

It ran 10.26 @ 131 right off the trailer . . when I wasn't "trying" to go fast.

Best I got after that . . when I WAS trying to go fast was 10.34@134

I gotta pull the plugs and see what the hell is going on . . . then re jet the injectors and bump the timing up to 40 (from 36)

I'm frustrated as HELL!!!!!! :rant:

I had some high hopes for you. I guess I was smoking some of SRT Handz good stuff.

Filling the valve covers with oil is very bad. You need to cut the volume on your oil pump. Do you have a High Volume or a High Presure pump? How big of an oil pan do you have?

When I was racing my 68Gt, my engine builder recomended that I use the stock size oil pan. No more than 6 qts. He also used a high presure oil pump instead of a high volume oil pump so I would not have the problems you are having.

That said I was running a 428CJ that only turned 6200 rpm, I was not shifting at 8000 like you are.

I'll get the oil situation figured out. It turns out that World Products' blocks have a provision for an extra oil restrictor in the front of the block that they don't tell you about when you buy their shortblock. I think we are just going to do some custom pushrods to restrict the flow up top. I don't have a high volume pump. It's just an issue with this particular block.

As far as the ET goes, the car is running pig rich and it's only at 36 degrees of timing. I need to put smaller jets in the injectors and bump the timing a couple of degrees.

I also don't have my suspension completely dialed in. The best 60 I could muster was a 1.47 and I can see the rear tires unloading right after it pulls the front wheels off the ground. So, I need to dial that in a bit.

I could have thrown a little nitromethane at it yesterday to lean it out, and that would have put it in the nines. But, I knew I was headed for spray, anyway. A 400 shot ought to help out a bit.

tRaV_19 said:
10.34 feels like riding in a bus huh lol well no rides for you in my cars because it would probley feel like your riding a snail lol

i know its disapointing to not be at your goal of 9 sec. mark but your very close and low 10's arent terrible a lot of people would love to be where your at.

Yeah . . I know . . it sounds funny to bitch about low 10s in a normally aspirated car . . lol. But, I know this set up is mid nines capable. I just need to get it dialed in.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Well . . . I've been using this comprehensive tuning program that's used to set drag cars up and I fed it all of my current specs (weight, tires, dimensions, balance, c of g, tire size and type, hp, torque, trans type, converter type, gearing, temp, altitude, barometer, yad yada yada) and it spit out the exact timeslip I ran yesterday . . within a few thousandths of a second at every point on the slip.

SO . . . I started looking for the culprit.

The current set up shows a 10.258 ET, at 131.901 mph, with a 1.492 60 foot. This is with my current 5400 stall converter and 3.73 gears.

Now . . leaving all the other data the same . . . if I switch to a 7800 stall Edge converter, and a 4.88 gear, the numbers change to 9.135 ET, at 144.347 mph, with a 1.251 60 foot.

Because my engine makes peak power at about 7500rpm, I'm killing myself with a 5400 stall and a 3.73 because I'm not taking advantage of where the car is making power.

I know I can squeeze some more hp out of the car with a better tune, too. Assuming I can tune another 30hp out of it (which I think I can) the ET drops to 8.87 at 148.317.

Given how accurately this program matched my current time slip, I'm pretty confident that the results are, at least, close to being accurate. Funny thing is, when I was talking to the guy at Edge, he told me he thought I needed a 7800 stall . . . lol.

Now . . . if I add a 200 shot, it should go 8.221 at 161.566 . . but I'd have to drop to a 4.30 gear . . .

A 400 shot yields 7.750 at 172.66, but I have to drop to a 4.10 gear

Bottom line . . . I'm ordering the 7800 stall edge converter tomorrow and a set of 4.88s. Then, when I get ready to spray, I'll do a 9" with 4.10s and go with the 400 shot.

The program is an exe file, so I can't attach it. But, if anyone wants it, drop me your email and I'll send it.

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
400 shot. :eek: :eek: :boink:

Yeah . . that ain't gonna be for a while. I'd need a lot of chassis work, an indestructible rear end, and probably a different tranny.

For right now, I can get into the bottom nines for under a grand.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought you had gears, I did n't know you were running 3:73's. If I would have known that I would not have predicted a low 9's run. You scamed me. LOL :hammer:

95Boss

Reaction score
Patience, young jedi. You remind me of my son-in-law. He has built an AWD '80 Rabbit with a VR6. He built a turbo and installed many other power adders over the years and it puts out over 600 rwhp. Every year he wants to be a second faster than last year. Last year it was 10's he wanted. Every spring, it's the same story. Out to the track and not being able to achieve the desired times. So, start dialing up the boost and other things. Every year, the same thing happens. Either something in the dfrive line gives it up or the engine blows up. He always achieves his goal, but it's always later during the season. This year, he wants to be in the 9's. You'll get the 9's I'm sure, but I have my fears about 4.88's. You may run out of gear at the top end and over rev the motor. 4.30 sounds more realistic, but I am never going to be confused with someone who is an expert on this. BTW, I will cherish the PhatBoy pen for the rest of my life.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
dang man... :-\ i was hoping to see some 9 second times...

you will definitely get it figured out though man.. let us know when you are headin back out!

OP
OP
T

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
95Boss said:
Patience, young jedi. You remind me of my son-in-law. He has built an AWD '80 Rabbit with a VR6. He built a turbo and installed many other power adders over the years and it puts out over 600 rwhp. Every year he wants to be a second faster than last year. Last year it was 10's he wanted. Every spring, it's the same story. Out to the track and not being able to achieve the desired times. So, start dialing up the boost and other things. Every year, the same thing happens. Either something in the dfrive line gives it up or the engine blows up. He always achieves his goal, but it's always later during the season. This year, he wants to be in the 9's. You'll get the 9's I'm sure, but I have my fears about 4.88's. You may run out of gear at the top end and over rev the motor. 4.30 sounds more realistic, but I am never going to be confused with someone who is an expert on this. BTW, I will cherish the PhatBoy pen for the rest of my life.

You need to PM me your adress so I can send you the pen . . lol.

I'm actually thinking of going with a 4.56 gear, because it will be better with spray down the road.

That said, the motor has a solid roller and jesel shaft rockers . . it's good to at least 9,000 rpm (although I have my rev limiter set at 8800)

As far as doing the mod after mod thing . . been there done that . . went through a lot of parts in the process. This time, I did it right and spent the money to build a 9 second race car. But, we haven't dialed in the tune yet.

I talked to my engine builder today and we'll get it sorted out. It'll go deep nines . . . just not running pig rich like it is. And, I prolly need a different converter.

uncltrvlnmatt said:
I thought you had gears, I did n't know you were running 3:73's. If I would have known that I would not have predicted a low 9's run. You scamed me. LOL :hammer:

lol . . I was negative sandbagging . . lol. Reviewing the video, I can hear it lagging a bit on the launch and laboring on the big end. The launch issue is gears and the big end issue is a/f/ ratio.

[TxCobrA98 said:
]
dang man... :-\ i was hoping to see some 9 second times...

you will definitely get it figured out though man.. let us know when you are headin back out!

I'll have it all worked out in the next couple of weeks. I have a points race on Saturday, and it'll do fine as is for that. But, I'll be after it after that race is over.

Snakebit said:
I'm predicting spun bearings and a blown tranny :(

Im a negative optimist ;D

The blown tranny is a possibility . . . but this thing ain't gonna spin no bearings . . . not the way it was built. :pimp2:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online