Preparing for a road trip

CrystalWhite

Reaction score
Hey all. I am new here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. Anyways, I am planning on driving across Canada, which is 5,500 km (~3,400 miles) in the next month or so and I am trying to make sure I am prepared for common issues. My car is a 95, with 67,000 km (~42k miles). I have only driven the car maybe 8,000 km in the last 5 years, so I am worried about issues popping up with such a long drive.

Here's my current to do list:
- Replace serp belt (original still on car and beginning to crack)
- Replace rad/heater hoses (all original and some are looking a little swollen)
- fill with fresh coolant
- Replace crappy caster camber plates with MM ones (one bearing is seized)

Here's what has been done recently:
- Fresh oil and filter
- Plugs
- Cap and rotor
- New balancer

Are there some things that I am missing that would be good to do beforehand or that would be good to have with me for spares to get me out of a potential jam?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Spare tire, basic tools, jack, wooden planks, and a fire extinguisher are in my car at all times.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I keep an obd1 scanner and manual in the trunk of my car along with a pair of jumper cables, Craftsman bag of gear wrenches and standard/metric sockets, and a small tool bag with screw drivers, but drivers, clip tool etc.

OP
OP
C

CrystalWhite

Reaction score
Thanks for all the solid ideas guys. So, you all wouldn't be concerned with having some spare parts aside from the old belt? Parts are never in stock for these cars where I live so I didn't know if there were any small/cheap items that are very common to fail that could leave me stranded that I should take along with me.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked your brake pads lately to make sure there is enough meat left for that long of a trip!?!?!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
C

CrystalWhite

Reaction score
Does your car burn any oil?

Doesn't burn very much just the normal amount between changes as far as I can tell, but I will be sure to keep an eye on it. My DD's are always Mazda's so I am used to keeping an eye on oil levels haha

Have you checked your brake pads lately to make sure there is enough meat left for that long of a trip!?!?!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Pads look new and slides all greased!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online