Problems with my 96 GT & cant figure it out!

Wolfz96GT

Reaction score
So I'll try not to make a long story to long here. I have a 1996 Mustang GT automatic that I inherited when my sister passed away in 2010. My brother in-law had the motor rebuilt before giving me the car. I drove the car for about a year roughly after the rebuild and only put roughly 7k-ish miles on the rebuild before having to park due to title/registration/insurance issues. So now the car has sat for roughly 5 years with periodic starting thru out the years.

So my first problem is- shortly after parking it developed a transmission leak. Just before I stopped driving it I had the torque converter and shaft seals replaced. I cant seem to find the source of the leak. The pan and pan gasket have been replaced (used a new reusable gasket), I see no signs of a leak inside the bell housing with the torque converter when looking in from the dust hole cover thing, and the trans cooler lines are dry. Its weird as it doesn't leak at the time I fill it but it will leak close to 2 quarts maybe more after about 2 days. I am at a loss on where its coming from.

My second problem is- I started it up last month to work on it and try to move it. It started and idled great, no codes or anything. I cut it off for 15 or minutes and went to restart and all of a sudden its taking multiple tries to start, idling rough, smoking really bad, and bogs down and chokes as soon as I touch the throttle, acts like a misfire, and has an occasional backfire thru the throttle body; but throws no CEL. I have pulled all the plugs and made sure the gap is right, switched ignition coils, wires are new, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the IAC, cleaned the PCV, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the TPS (finally threw a CEL for TPS), replaced fuel filter, & added fresh gas with a fuel injection cleaner. It will start now and idle great (800ish rpm) but the second I touch the throttle it bogs and wont rev past 2k rpm and feels like its misfiring. We've tried unplugging the fuel injectors one at a time looking for a change in idle but no noticeable change. Cant find any vacuum leaks either. We're pretty sure that the smoking is from a bad valve seal letting oil into the cylinder however. At this point I am at a complete loss. I'm wondering if I maybe have clogged cats? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
1. Dipstick tube o ring.

2. Check your fuel pressure. Might be a bad pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online