Pulling the engine

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Pulling the engine this weekend on my 98. Is there anything specific to this car/engine that I should look out for? I'll be pulling the engine/trans together. I've pulled many Chevy, Nissan, VW engines, but this is the first time pulling the engine from my Mustang and Mark viii. The 32v from the Mark will be easy - I'm cutting the core support and pulling the engine straight out the front of the car. I don't have that luxury with my Mustang.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Make sure to remove ALL electrical connections, there are a couple ground straps that go to the block and the oil pressure switch connector that like to hide. I find it easiest to remove the intake manifold prior to engine removal. Take the exhaust system down first, leave the headers on the heads. Probably easiest to remove the shifter from the trans. Make sure you have a 10mm ratchet wrench, you will thank me for that. There is a bolt on the power steering pump that doesn't come all the way out and you cannot get a socket on it, ratchet wrench is the best. Also make sure you have a load leveler, itll make life easy. Last but not least, lift slowly and pay close attention to everything. Then, prepare to make a mess lol.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Make sure to remove ALL electrical connections, there are a couple ground straps that go to the block and the oil pressure switch connector that like to hide. I find it easiest to remove the intake manifold prior to engine removal. Take the exhaust system down first, leave the headers on the heads. Probably easiest to remove the shifter from the trans. Make sure you have a 10mm ratchet wrench, you will thank me for that. There is a bolt on the power steering pump that doesn't come all the way out and you cannot get a socket on it, ratchet wrench is the best. Also make sure you have a load leveler, itll make life easy. Last but not least, lift slowly and pay close attention to everything. Then, prepare to make a mess lol.
I definitely have a 10mm ratchet wrench and will definitely take your advice on that one lol. Thanks for the advice, I will try and get a leveler too. I had one, I think it has disappeared on me though...

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I definitely have a 10mm ratchet wrench and will definitely take your advice on that one lol. Thanks for the advice, I will try and get a leveler too. I had one, I think it has disappeared on me though...

A leveler isn't really a necessity, but it is definitely handy. What trans do you have in your car, auto or 5 speed?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I always drop my transmission before pulling the engine, I don't like lifting all that weight way up in the air.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Just got done pulling the motor and transmission for the second time from my 98.

Here is a quick list of major steps:
1) Remove driveshaft and exhaust midpipe.
2) Remove shifter
3) Drained all fluids
4) Remove battery and electrical connections
5) Remove air intake
6) Remove radiator and hoses
7) Remove clutch line
8) Disconnected (1) body ground
9) Unbolted power steering pump and reservoir
10) Motor mount nuts and transmission cross-member
11) Fuel lines
12) 3 connections for wire harness at passenger side firewall - this will let you pull the harness with motor and tranny
13) throttle and cruise cables
14) various vacuum lines

Link to youtube clip mentioned above (very helpful) - https://youtu.be/Q7BPt74c3WU

Removing the accessories from front of motor and intake manifold makes life easier but is not required.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Just got done pulling the motor and transmission for the second time from my 98.

Here is a quick list of major steps:
1) Remove driveshaft and exhaust midpipe.
2) Remove shifter
3) Drained all fluids
4) Remove battery and electrical connections
5) Remove air intake
6) Remove radiator and hoses
7) Remove clutch line
8) Disconnected (1) body ground
9) Unbolted power steering pump and reservoir
10) Motor mount nuts and transmission cross-member
11) Fuel lines
12) 3 connections for wire harness at passenger side firewall - this will let you pull the harness with motor and tranny
13) throttle and cruise cables
14) various vacuum lines

Link to youtube clip mentioned above (very helpful) - https://youtu.be/Q7BPt74c3WU

Removing the accessories from front of motor and intake manifold makes life easier but is not required.
Swee! Thanks bro, that pretty much covers everything.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I ended up doing the Mark engine by myself, doing the mustang engine probably this Friday or Saturday morning and then the Mark engine is going in... That's the plan anyway. lol

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
That video linked would actually be helpful if you never did this before.
I got the Mark engine out. It wasn't hard but it was tedious. I'll be pulling the Mustang engine today and hopefully get the 32v back in by Friday - if my clutch makes it in on time. I'll for sure hit up the video if I come across something I need help with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online