Q: Can you change the cltuch on a 96-98 cobra w/o removing the exhaust?

94gtstang50

Reaction score
A: Yes you can, just did it this weekend, took about 9 hours from start to finish including cleanup and break times, lol. Replaced it with an 11" clutch kit, heres a pic of the old clutch, its was sooo beatup, countless hotspots on both the flywheel and pressure plate and the tob took the cake, it sounded like a "happy new year" rattle when I turned it. You can see the cat on the right front of the pic.
cobraclutch.jpg

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did it to. It was not fun working around the H-Pipe. There was not much room. i could not even get my trans out of the way. I was working in a 6-8 inch hole to remove and replace the clutch and flywheel.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Haha nice, I was blessed with accessability to a lift and 5 buddies to help, would have taken me forever by myself. The hardest part aside from the bellhousing to motor bolts and the starter bolts was trying to slip out the trans crossbrace with the X-pipie in the way, trans came out easy then.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was working flat on my back. It took me about a total of 12-14 hours to do the job. Unfortunately it was spread out over 3 sunday's.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a Question too:
Why would you swap the clutch WITHOUT removing the mid-pipe? It's easy to take off, and Hella easier to swap the clutch.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Because the bolts were so horribly rusted onto the headers that the only choice for their removal was to cut them off, otherwise that bitch would def have come off and out of the way, lol.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
I have a Question too:
Why would you swap the clutch WITHOUT removing the mid-pipe? It's easy to take off, and Hella easier to swap the clutch.

Yes it would be alot easier. I had the same issue as 94Gt. It was worse than doing a cluth on a U-Model Mack with a Mack 12 spd trans.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yea, If I did it now though I would just cut the damn mid pipe and weld it back together when I was done. It would just be another excuse to break the mig welder out, lol.