Question #2

OP
OP
H

Hicks

Reaction score
eh... hate to jump to a diffrent subject on you guys

but do eny of you know how hard a Aod to t-5 swap is?

Maby the t5 is what i need to go with instead of having to get another AOD and build it up?
be cheaper?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hicks said:
eh... hate to jump to a diffrent subject on you guys

but do eny of you know how hard a Aod to t-5 swap is?

Maby the t5 is what i need to go with instead of having to get another AOD and build it up?
be cheaper?

I would not say cheaper as you would have to buy all the parts necessary for the swap and THEN still actually do the swap.......it would be a worthy investment however

OP
OP
H

Hicks

Reaction score
we got our own Shop *so to speak* and plenty of family members who are macanics... Building and installing something isnt hard.

Its just... Money b/c all of its coming outof some 17 year old dude *me*
i was thinking... a kindof used t-5
and if it holds up to the cars 350 hp *what we plan on having* then ill just stick with it
figure i can find one for about 500 if i shop smart... then a conversion set will probly cost me what 100-200?
and to install i can probly get it done for about 100 i gues... 800 bucks?
i dunno...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
prices are hard to say because they can be so much diffrent from one area to the next :dunno: like here for example the manual trans that are in the 94 and up cars go for around 700 USED, and the fox trans go for 500 USED. I'm sure you can find one cheaper on eBay......but then you have to wait on shipping and all that crap.

The other parts should not cost a lot, but there are a few of them to round up. Bell house / clutch / cable / shifter / pedal assembly / not sure about the drive shaft :dunno:

OP
OP
H

Hicks

Reaction score
yea... you got a point... we r making the car to go from a dig tho... so maby the automatic is the better choice.. then again i dunno

The tranny is a thought for now... Engine is the main thing... but still... im so confused on what to do...

IMGA0742.jpg

this is all we got for now

Downshift

Reaction score
The swap is what I would do. Only because I am not an auto guy. I dont know how well you can drive a stick but when you can drive them good they are damn fun anyone who tells you otherwise well doesnt know how to drive them right. It wont suck up as much power as the auto either. Im not sure about the cost but all I can say is try and make a lot of friends lol. Get into a mustang club or somethign like that local. And if you ever have a chance just talk to people with mustangs. I blew out my reverse gear and needed another T-5 But they were all like 500-600 bucks. Talked to a co-worker who had some stangs turns out he was getting rid of a wrecked 95 so I bought his tranny off him for 175$ and it works perfect. Its all about who you know because not only that you can get some sweet discounts places and if anythign breaks usually someone has an extra one. Good luck and keep us posted on the build.

Downshift

Reaction score
Whatever you end up doing make sure you throw some rear end gears on it because they make a world of difference.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
HEEY! Alittle late I know but...I put a shift kit in my auto tranny in my 96 GT. My dad, uncle and I spent about 6 hours putting it in. It even came with a video on how to do it. It wasnt that hard at all. The Tranny shifts ALOT harder and chirps them and kicks the back end out sometimes. I also have a B&M Ratchet shifter aswell, but I didnt install it yet.

OP
OP
H

Hicks

Reaction score
i stikll think a automatic is better for what im ging to do... and thats build a car to race from a dig, we got alot of stop lights and about 200 yard dashes down here

94Gt5.0

Reaction score
An auto is definatly the way to go if you want to race it alot, i have a AOD-E with a 4000rpm Arct Carr converter and a B&M shift kit and it gets out of the hole very well 1.61-60ft being the best on stock suspension. If its a drag-type car you really cant beat an auto, they soak up alittle more power but it more than makes up for it in accuracy, nothin worse than losing a race due to missed shift.

OP
OP
H

Hicks

Reaction score
yea i hear ya, but hey... least we are building the engine nnow

im saving for the tranny on the side now to.. seeing as i gave dad the money he wanted to begine buying lol
*dad looks at his 17 year old son*
Dad: go make 2500$
Me: .... *looks at dad's four wheeler* Sure!! lol

haha... thats what i did to ^_^

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online