Question about 1997 Mustang Cobra Switch

pittshady

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently acquired a used 1997 Cobra. After inspecting the vehicle when I got home, I found a switch under the dash that one of the previous owners have added. I have no idea of it's purpose. Does anyone have any idea on what this might be for?

fGKWez.jpg

07GtS197

Reaction score
Maybe a kill switch? Have you tried flipping it and poking around for things not working?

PinkieT

Reaction score
Passenger side ejection seat? Flux capacitor relay? Seriously, it is a generic aftermarket switch that could be used for a variety of things. Have you tried to see where the wires lead?

Royal96

Reaction score
You know, I've got a tiny tiny toggle switch down on my left kick panel that I've never tried to see what it is. This has got me curious again.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You know, I've got a tiny tiny toggle switch down on my left kick panel that I've never tried to see what it is. This has got me curious again.

Maybe an alarm. I have the same thing, its a baby little silver toggle switch, almost like needle thin. Whoever owned the car in the 90s put it on, or it was a dealer add on idk. But you can turn it on and off etc. You have a small square key fob with a single button to unlock and lock ya doors?

Royal96

Reaction score
Maybe an alarm. I have the same thing, its a baby little silver toggle switch, almost like needle thin. Whoever owned the car in the 90s put it on, or it was a dealer add on idk. But you can turn it on and off etc. You have a small square key fob with a single button to unlock and lock ya doors?

It does have an aftermarket alarm. My remote isn't square, but it only has two buttons, neither of which have any tactile feel at all; one large button that locks/unlocks and is also the panic button if you hold it down .00000001 second too long, and a trunk release. It's an alpine system, which from my understanding they stopped making alarms in the 90s.

OP
OP
P

pittshady

Reaction score
So I finally got around to testing this switch in my driveway. Several people I spoke with said that thought it was a fuel pump shut off. I tested and it did not shut the car off. It did change the idle slightly, but the car kept running.

Could it be possible that the switch could turn on or off a tune? The car did come with a tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
probably to an alarm. Is there an led on the dash anywhere by chance? otherwise like I said before get on your back and trace the wires to what ever its hooked up to is probably the best way. I am willing to in the center console you will find what your looking for.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Follow the wires. Everything else is just guesswork.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online