Question about M105

stprorolla49

Reaction score
So after doing much reading about what compounds are the best to use, and after trying CG Scratch and Swirl remover with decent results, I decided to try Meguire's M105 and M205. I had decent results with the CG Scratch and Swirl with an orange hexologic, then Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze with a white hexologic, but I still had some minor swirls no matter how many section passes I made.

I did a lot of research online and tons of pros suggested the M105 and M205 combo, followed by a nice LSP. This past weekend I was using the M105 with an orange hexologic pad, and it seemed to almost be heating into the paint. I was using my PC at about 4-4.5 speed, and when I finished my section passes, the compound seemed to have almost dried to the paint and it was somewhat difficult to get off. I did NOT have this problem with the CG Scratch and Swirl.

I was VERY happy with the results of the M105, and since I was pressed for time I just applied my CG E-Zyme right on top. For the time I had, the M105 made me happy enough to not even use the M205 after.

I guess what I'm getting at is, has anyone else had this problem? Is my pad shot? Not sure what to think. I want to like this stuff, but it was really frustrating me.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I use m105 for all my corrections.

Just did a Wrangler this weekend. 1 step and corrected about 85% of the car in one pass with with orange foam via rotary.

Definitely a super versatile compound, especially when followed by the m205.

My advice to you is to make sure that the pad is primed with the compound before polishing as if the paint is really hot the compound will dry up quicker.

I've actually had success spritzing a bit of QD or water on the pad right before I start a pass. This has helped me extend working time by as much as 3x in certain cases. However if you do what I suggested I would keep the working area small if you're gonna use my water/QD approach.

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info man. It's been slow at work so I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like all signs point to the M105 as having a very quick dry time. I was working it for probably 4 or 5 section passes when really 2 is probably all I needed. I will try a bit of my CG pad conditioner diluted next time I use the M105, and maybe give the pad a spritz every section pass or so. It wasn't that I didn't think it was cutting well, it just dried so fast! Now I know for next time.

Are there any compounds that cut as well as the M105 but have a slower drying time? Just curious because I only bought an 8oz bottle of the M105 and the M205 so when they are gone I might try something new if there is something comparable. From what I read it seems like the Optimum compound is great as well, but doesn't finish as well as the M105.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Yup it does dry sort of quick.. But I've also found that if the surface that you polish is really cool it will dry slower(like any polish really.)

I think if you take more time getting used to it/finding some combos that work you may come away using m105 most of the time...

Since you use a PC I suggest applying more pressure to the pad and keeping the work area small(like youre already doing) and that'll make you like m105 more :)

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
I actually really like the M105, it corrected 95% of my swirls, it just dried fast. Guess I gotta find the method that works best for me. Gotta try it again when it gets a little cooler out. That will probably help a bit too.

wytstang

Reaction score
What some folks do to improving compounds with quick drying times is mix them with compounds with longer working times. If you want to spend the money you can buy a sample size amount (8 oz) of Optimum Compound II. Pour 4oz into a 16 oz bottle and fill the rest with Megs 105, OP has a longer working time and mixing it with megs will allow 105 to work longer. You can also use Op Polish II instead of compound II, what you are really after it the polishing oils they have. No matter the surface temp it will help the work time. .02

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I detailed a friend of the family suv, and m105 fixed all of the paint defects that a compound can take out. It was actually refinishing the clear better then factory clear. In one section it looked like glass, and one part looked like the factory orange peel. You cant tell by looking at it, you have to look at in a extreme angle to even notice but m105 is heavy duty.

Does anyone have any tips on how to control a rotary, I'm still getting the hang of it but wow sometimes i feel like im fighting with it.

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
wytstang said:
What some folks do to improving compounds with quick drying times is mix them with compounds with longer working times. If you want to spend the money you can buy a sample size amount (8 oz) of Optimum Compound II. Pour 4oz into a 16 oz bottle and fill the rest with Megs 105, OP has a longer working time and mixing it with megs will allow 105 to work longer. You can also use Op Polish II instead of compound II, what you are really after it the polishing oils they have. No matter the surface temp it will help the work time. .02

This is a great thought, I might give this a whirl. I only bought an 8oz of the M105 and an 8oz of the M205 though, and I probably used 1/3-1/2 of the M105 already. You think mixing a little M205 in there would do the same trick as adding the Opt Polish II? If it's just the polishing oils I'm after, that might do the trick.

mustangmike98gt

Reaction score
i had the exact same problem at first. then i got the meguiars soft buff pads the red and yellow pads and now it works perfect. also slow the speed to no more than 3

wytstang

Reaction score
stprorolla49 said:
wytstang said:

This is a great thought, I might give this a whirl. I only bought an 8oz of the M105 and an 8oz of the M205 though, and I probably used 1/3-1/2 of the M105 already. You think mixing a little M205 in there would do the same trick as adding the Opt Polish II? If it's just the polishing oils I'm after, that might do the trick.
If 205 has the same work time as 105 then no it won't do the trick (they would dry at the same rate). You will need to use another compound/polish with more oil in so it takes longer to break down. Since Optimum offers 8 oz containers that would be the cheapest route vs having to buy/pay for larger size. Optimum polishes also have very long break down time so I know it will help keep Megs from drying up to fast. If you buy it from Autogeek use coupon code Autopia for 10% to help with shipping.

wytstang

Reaction score
Mustangmike00GT said:
i had the exact same problem at first. then i got the meguiars soft buff pads the red and yellow pads and now it works perfect. also slow the speed to no more than 3
Speed 3 is very ineffective when trying to break down a compound/polish via a pc or a Flex 3401 for that matter. Heat+friction are what break down a chemical and at speed 3 the first one is impossible and the second component is virtually not there.

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
wytstang said:
stprorolla49 said:
wytstang said:

If 205 has the same work time as 105 then no it won't do the trick (they would dry at the same rate). You will need to use another compound/polish with more oil in so it takes longer to break down. Since Optimum offers 8 oz containers that would be the cheapest route vs having to buy/pay for larger size. Optimum polishes also have very long break down time so I know it will help keep Megs from drying up to fast. If you buy it from Autogeek use coupon code Autopia for 10% to help with shipping.

Gotcha. Only reason I ask is because over on Autopia where I do a lot of detailing creepin', and most people say that 205 has a much slower drying time than the 105. Not sure if this is true, thats the only reason I asked. Regardless, I'll probably try some of the Optimum polish mixed with the 105 next time I do a correction. Thanks!

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
M105 finishes off very well..... But for me and other, its not LSP ready..... I always follow up with M205.

Since M205 is a finishing polish, the work time or "Play Time" is much longer than a compound. Compounds like M105 usually dont have a very long play time.

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
M105 finishes off very well..... But for me and other, its not LSP ready..... I always follow up with M205.

Since M205 is a finishing polish, the work time or "Play Time" is much longer than a compound. Compounds like M105 usually dont have a very long play time.

Haha, play time. Honestly, I just didn't whip out the 205 because I ran out of time and daylight because I had some slight struggles with the 105. I was getting the car ready for the American Muscle show the next morning, and my arms were totally dead and it was 8pm and dark out. Oh well, next detail before winter it will get the 205 as well.

Honestly, the 105 worked awesome, I think I'll try some of these tricks listed above and use it again next time. It really make getting out the minor swirls I had a piece of cake. I could have probably used the 205 with a white pad and gotten 98% of them out. Oh well.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For me, polishing is something can take days to do sometimes. When i do full paint correction i will sometimes use M105 the first day, then do all the finish polishing on day 2 with the M205.

I have actually seen a detailer From Florida that uses M105 to Compound AND finish. He uses a D/A and orange pad teamed with kevin brown method to finish off black car to perfection!!!

OP
OP
stprorolla49

stprorolla49

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
For me, polishing is something can take days to do sometimes. When i do full paint correction i will sometimes use M105 the first day, then do all the finish polishing on day 2 with the M205.

I have actually seen a detailer From Florida that uses M105 to Compound AND finish. He uses a D/A and orange pad teamed with kevin brown method to finish off black car to perfection!!!
Yea, my problem is I still live at home and I don't have a garage to put my car in overnight. I would definitely spread it over 2 days, but again no garage. I can't really complain, I just graduated in May, got a job in my field in August, and I'm not paying anything to live at home.

Regardless, sounds like I really should give the M105 another go. Probably before the winter, the car will get a complete detail, and get covered.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know how it is because i still live at home while I finish school.... Its hard but whatever lol.

Back before i had a garage to use and my car was parked outside i used to try and do hardcore details on my car 100% outdoors. What i usually would do it do as much as I can in one day, then cover the car up for the night, then un-cover the next day and keep detailing.

If the car got a little dusty at night even under the cover, i just give the car a nice IPA wipe-down and its back to detailing!!!

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I detail my car in mutliday session outdoors as well..

its a pain sometimes when you have to spread the detail over multiple days and the car gets dirty, but its definitely manageable.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even with a garage, a car can get dirty during a multiple day detail.

Sometimes on a 3-4 day job, i will need to wash the car like 4-5 times cause it gets so dirty with dust from the garage and dust from the polishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fl510

Members online