Questions everyone

jpajkos

Reaction score
Whats upper people. Let me as a question. for those of you who put gears in your car and have put a speed cal on it. How can you find out what was your stock gear ratio in your car? See problem is I put 4.10s in and my Dallas Speed cal is reading off still. I want to make sure I have it calibrated for the right gear ratio. I have a 96 5Spd. Any way to tell by the vin or door panal sticker?

97gtconv.

Reaction score
it says it on the gears themselves. probably the little metal flap that's attached to the differential cover. but your right it might say it on the door check.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the code is on the door sticker but the best way to make it perfect is to go on a highway reset the trip meter and have a friend in a stock car do the same...travel 10 miles and record your exact milage...for example 11.2 miles instead of 10. Then you go onto the Dallas Mustang website where their is a forum dedicated just for speedcal. Post up the exact milage you made and they will give you the perfect setting without never knowing your old gear or current tire size.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
the code is on the door sticker but the best way to make it perfect is to go on a highway reset the trip meter and have a friend in a stock car do the same...travel 10 miles and record your exact milage...for example 11.2 miles instead of 10. Then you go onto the Dallas Mustang website where their is a forum dedicated just for speedcal. Post up the exact milage you made and they will give you the perfect setting without never knowing your old gear or current tire size.

+1

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Now when your talking a stock car. Can this be any car? LIke can I have my fiance in her Mazda next to me? Or does it have to be anothor gt?

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Ok I found out what my stock gear ratio is. It was 2.73 w/ a limited slip diff according to the door tag ford decoded for me. I went on dallas's website and entered my ratios and the gave me a code. it did not work. I put all the info in on the Speed Calculator and the only thing that stumped me was the Speed Gear Teeth part? I have no clue what the hell the is so I left it at the stock 19 on both. The code didn't work. Im going to do the highway test but what in the hell is speedo gear teeth?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Ok I found out what my stock gear ratio is. It was 2.73 w/ a limited slip diff according to the door tag ford decoded for me. I went on dallas's website and entered my ratios and the gave me a code. it did not work. I put all the info in on the Speed Calculator and the only thing that stumped me was the Speed Gear Teeth part? I have no clue what the hell the is so I left it at the stock 19 on both. The code didn't work. Im going to do the highway test but what in the hell is speedo gear teeth?
When you swap gears on 98-older mustangs you would switch speedo gears also...usually a 21 or 23 tooth speedo gear. These don't last long and don't account for different tire sizes etc like a speedcal. Just have your girl in her car drive next to you and clock off 10 miles...when i meant stock i am refering to any car that has stock tires/wheels etc...unchanged.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Ok will do thanks for the help DropTop :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah