Quick Rear Spring Removal Help

Shocker6

Reaction score
Hey, I’ve already spent a solid couple of hours researching and another couple attempting to remove the rear springs to get on with my coil over install.
just removed the sway bar and pretty much dropped one side within an inch of pavement and still no luck. This is after doing all the obvious things, quads removed, brakes etc etc. I’m doing my best not to bulldog it for fear of damage to something else and my body.
Im tired and frustrated….I’m doing my best to stay cool and find the way.
So, stupid questions……
Are those springs bolted on in some way I’m not seeing at the top or bottom? What is the exact
“Sweet spot” to get these fuckers out?
Here’s a coupe of pics. I know there’s tricks to this. Would greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 98DC43DE-BABA-40B6-B57B-5285E916B569.jpeg
    98DC43DE-BABA-40B6-B57B-5285E916B569.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8F890B75-7E31-485E-8E41-5709F0C2724E.jpeg
    8F890B75-7E31-485E-8E41-5709F0C2724E.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 426EF906-C138-4EF9-B229-B0CC98797F9F.jpeg
    426EF906-C138-4EF9-B229-B0CC98797F9F.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 9

badass98svt

Reaction score
I've always removed the shock and then stood on the brake rotor, while someone else reaches in and pulls the spring out.

Notthenow

Reaction score
They are taller than you think. More axle drop, or exterior spring compressor can work depending on the design. I usually work alone so don't have the guy to stand on one side. I imagine you got them out by now. Install is the same pain and the rubber upper bushings don't just fall without help, especially if new.

Snorky

Reaction score
With the jack under the differe tial, I remove the brakes. Remove the lower shock bolts,lower it down. Move the jack to the drivers side of the axle. Jack it up high. Go to the passenger side and put a hoof onto the axle and give it some weight. While doing that give the spring a tug. Or you might have to grab the fender and use it for leverage while you hoof the axle down. Have someone else pluck the spring out. That usually does it for me. Then switch sides.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
thank you very much for the advice. I did finally get them off. The second one was easy obviously. I threw the spring on and no problem. Now I’m stuck on the second one where I can’t seem to get the control arm and axle holes lined up! I had to call it because of sunlight so I’ll be back at it after work tomorrow. I don’t give a shit if I this is all new and frustrating at times , I’m really enjoying doing it. The more I wrench on her the less I want anyone else touching her lol.
Now back to problem solving the latest obstruction

Snorky

Reaction score
thank you very much for the advice. I did finally get them off. The second one was easy obviously. I threw the spring on and no problem. Now I’m stuck on the second one where I can’t seem to get the control arm and axle holes lined up! I had to call it because of sunlight so I’ll be back at it after work tomorrow. I don’t give a shit if I this is all new and frustrating at times , I’m really enjoying doing it. The more I wrench on her the less I want anyone else touching her lol.
Now back to problem solving the latest obstruction
The control arm bolts holes is often a lot of axle manipulation. Get the arms in before you put the springs in.. at least the uppers ..those are a bit tricky.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Pop off the rear lower control arm. Use a Jack to support the axle and lower it till the spring falls out.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
Right on! I’ll try that after work! Wish I didn’t have to do the honey do list earlier….
The control arm bolts holes is often a lot of axle manipulation. Get the arms in before you put the springs in.. at least the uppers ..those are a bit tricky

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
Pop off the rear lower control arm. Use a Jack to support the axle and lower it till the spring falls out.
thanks, when I finally did that, I was shaking my head at how much energy I wasted doing the first side. To add insult to it all, it didn’t help when a couple of teenagers rolled by laughing and asked if I needed any help…lol

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I've always removed the shock and then stood on the brake rotor, while someone else reaches in and pulls the spring out.
i have my big snap on pry bar for that hook on to the axle and push down the spring will be lose enough to just about fall out

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i will put the jack stands right under the body right before the lower Controle arms.
remove the shock from axle at bottum .
let the jack down with wheels off all the way down hanging
take a pry bar and pry the spring out there will be a little give to get it out
this is just to remove the rear spings

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
if your replacing Controle arms its a bit more work i do top one side at a time
same as the bottums one side at a time

badass98svt

Reaction score
i will put the jack stands right under the body right before the lower Controle arms.
remove the shock from axle at bottom .
let the jack down with wheels off all the way down hanging
take a pry bar and pry the spring out there will be a little give to get it out
this is just to remove the rear springs
This is the same that I do, only I step/bounce on the brake rotor/rearend, rather than use the pry bar.

I can't imagine why you'd need to remove the UCAs or LCAs.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
This is the same that I do, only I step/bounce on the brake rotor/rearend, rather than use the pry bar.

I can't imagine why you'd need to remove the UCAs or LCAs.
Ya I did it to get the spring out easy. Now I’m f ed…tried the ratchet strap but didn’t turn out in my favor. Thinking about investing in another jack and a pair of stands to get more creative

Notthenow

Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned stands on the frame rails. Do that and under axle tubes. Lca is easy to match up when you aren't fighting that weight.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned stands on the frame rails. Do that and under axle tubes. Lca is easy to match up when you aren't fighting that weight.
So it’s basically getting either the axle forward about an 1 3/8” or the lca back. Can’t get under the front because the driveways at an incline. So I tried the ratchet strap but at a 60 degree off a solid post. That’s the best I could get. Until I get another jack for the front and then figure what to anchor onto.
But like they say, good mechanics get it done with what they have.

Snorky

Reaction score
So it’s basically getting either the axle forward about an 1 3/8” or the lca back. Can’t get under the front because the driveways at an incline. So I tried the ratchet strap but at a 60 degree off a solid post. That’s the best I could get. Until I get another jack for the front and then figure what to anchor onto.
But like they say, good mechanics get it done with what they have.
Keep the jack stands under the car where they belong... Do you have 1 spring in? If so. Remove it... Then use the pump jack under the pumpkin and raise the axle up slowly to get the height in the balk park that way you can push it or roll the axle forward or backward to get it close. Then use the sacrificial screw driver to stick it in the lca/axle mount hole and pry to align the other side where you stick the bolt in to start it. Tap it in with a mallet. At this point it might not go through the other side of the mount. You can try to raise or lower the jack slightly to get the hole to align better. Then tap it with a mallet or hammer or use a ratchet or impact to get it to thread itself the rest of the way through. Then worry about getting the springs In. Can always use the pump jack axle ends method there and stand on the hub/lift up on the fender for extra leverage and someone else stab the spring in.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! You have no idea how appreciative I am <3

So, before I started backtracking and removing springs again, etc, I borrowed a come along from my shop. Man, I was done in 5 minutes! Really helped on the driveway's incline. Going to spend and buy a quality model for my own shop and prolly have it handy in the trunk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online