Radio Won't Turn On

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I got my car back 2 days ago and for some odd reason the radio will not turn on. I checked all the fuses and wires and everything seems fine.
I've held down the power button multiple times and tried resetting it... still nothing.

My headunit is a Boss Audio 642CA (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_28588_Boss_Audio_642CA.aspx).

12859.jpg

Now on to the catch...

Recently my battery has been dying if I let the car sit for 2-3 days without turning it on. I just came to realize that when I turn the car off, the headunit turns on (I hear it looking for the CD inside). It does this continually. I'm assuming that this is what's draining my battery.

Why is it that the radio is on (I assume) when the car is off and vise-versa.? Any ideas?

96gt4.6

Reaction score
id pull the deck and make sure both power wires are getting power, did you check the wires going buy the pedals maybe they pinched a wire on the install

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you check the two fuses you thought the manual directed you to or did you check them all? If you have not pulled and checked every fuse we need to start there. I know it sounds like a hastle but trust me that it will take less time to physically inspect every fuse then to go through the manual. Don't forget the box by the battery.

Once we are sure that every fuse in the car is good then you will need to dig out a volt meter or test light to verify that there is voltage on the power wires behind the deck.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
id pull the deck and make sure both power wires are getting power, did you check the wires going buy the pedals maybe they pinched a wire on the install

Will do. And no I did not check those wires. They radio worked fine up until recently, never had a problem like this.
Any idea of the radio follows a wire to the map lights? I know they share the same fuse and just recently I unhooked my footwell lights that were soldered together.

did you check the two fuses you thought the manual directed you to or did you check them all? If you have not pulled and checked every fuse we need to start there. I know it sounds like a hastle but trust me that it will take less time to physically inspect every fuse then to go through the manual. Don't forget the box by the battery.

Once we are sure that every fuse in the car is good then you will need to dig out a volt meter or test light to verify that there is voltage on the power wires behind the deck.

Which 2 fuses are you talking about?

I've checked the 1 fuse on the back of the headunit, all the fuses under the steering wheel, and all the ones in the engine fuse box.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are two power wires for the radio that are fused, the ignition and the constant. I don't know which two they are because I have not read the manual for fuses since I got the car again because it takes longer. If you have pulled and inspected all the stock fuses then get your volt meter or test light(or borrow one) and check the red/yellow wires on the deck to ensure with the key on you have 12v on it. Again though if you have not literally inspected EVERY fuse we need to start simple and do that.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Turn up the radio
I need the music, gimmie some more
Turn up the radio
I wanna feel it, got to gimmie some more

[video=youtube;xSdu9Zw6R54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSdu9Zw6R54&feature=kp[/video]

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^^good stuff

Im more interested in what metal bands the op listens to. Hope for the Dying, Your memorial, Demon Hunter are a few of my favorites

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^^good stuff

Im more interested in what metal bands the op listens to. Hope for the Dying, Your memorial, Demon Hunter are a few of my favorites

None of the above.

All That Remains, Breakdown Of Sanity, For The Fallen Dreams, Memhpis May Fire, Haste The Day, Parkway Drive, OM&M

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Well the radio has power while the car is off. That could mean one wire is hooked to a constant power so while the car is off, there's power. Double check the wiring, its possible they moved some wiring while doing the swap.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
pull the radio and take a picture of the wiring for me.

Here's what I could manage to get.

I noticed this yellow wire leading to the pigtail seems to be pretty loose. That wire is Memory 12V+.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it looks to be wired correctly. A loose wire in the hrns would cause it to not work, or work intermittently but it would not make it turn on with the key off. If you have a volt meter or test light stab the red/yellow/black wires with it with the key on to confirm that there is power on the red/yellow with the key on, and that the ground/black wire is a good ground.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Will do, I don't have a voltmeter but I'll cruise over to my buddies this week so he can check it out. Thanks Scott.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get a test light for <$10 at an auto parts store. Great addition to a tool box if yer buddy is busy.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I just picked up a multimeter and the red wire (12V plus) and yellow wire (Memory 12V) are fine. Both are reading at like 12.06 or so. The blue wire (power antenna) reads 0. I'm pretty sure that that wire isn't the reason it's not turning on though. Maybe the headunit is just on its way out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online