realywierd engine miss, cant figure it out

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
xploder17s said:
i just bought my stang. my first one. the previous owners did some bad jimmy rigging. cheap mil eliminators, crappy wiring, and loose shrouding on tranny. but other than that its a mean kitten. anyhow it had a hairline crack in a coil pack and caused a #8 misfire. and the plugs looked bad and improperly gapped. simple things I'm finding and the eliminators could cause those problems. but luckily i have friends in autozone and makes my life cheaper. :thumb: id check the plugs and wires for splits in the silicone. could ground out anywhere. intake seals and gaskets. id get a can of carb cleaner spray in misc places near crevices and see if you could find a gasket issue. i had that problem on my exploder. could be right under your nose. small things first.
replaced the burnt spark plugs (and they were the wrong plugs also). my dad, who is an electrical expert cant find anything wrong with the coil packs or wires. he also said if it were problems in coil pack or wires the miss would be worst in humid weather but my car never skips in realy humid conditions so i have almost ruled that completely out. although i will eventually replace every thing.

cobraclone

Reaction score
What would be the proper gaping on the plugs on our cars?
I heard 62,63 ?
Is that about right?

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
update on my findings:
first off, my car normaly has no skip in humid wheather and that is probaly because of the injectors can give enough fuel in denser air but in thinner hotter air there is a miss because not enough fuel is supplied. If it was wiring, humid air would exacerbate the miss due to a leak in the wires or coils would be worstened by mosture. this is my dad's theory but......

Today it was raining extremely hard and my engine was missing like crazy and my check engine light came on. that could be proof of a leaking wire or coil right?

cobraclone

Reaction score
ok so if its any of these fuel, electrical, the best bang for the buck i can find is Steeda coils 59.95 each , B.O.I pro. products fuel regulator 65.00 , and summit plug wires 59.95

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
driftingmustang said:
update on my findings:
first off, my car normaly has no skip in humid wheather and that is probaly because of the injectors can give enough fuel in denser air but in thinner hotter air there is a miss because not enough fuel is supplied. If it was wiring, humid air would exacerbate the miss due to a leak in the wires or coils would be worstened by mosture. this is my dad's theory but......

Today it was raining extremely hard and my engine was missing like crazy and my check engine light came on. that could be proof of a leaking wire or coil right?
took the car out twice that night. it was very humid and a little bit of fog. the car missed on the first time i took it out and didnt miss at all the second time i went out.

today in hot dry wheather it only missed a little bit.

the miss is just so random.

S

scarface

once again, if there was a CEL, what was it for. You have the answer to your problem already.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
Scarface said:
once again, if there was a CEL, what was it for. You have the answer to your problem already.
oh check engine light. well, it is no longer on. it went off and hasnt come back.

BrandoGT

Reaction score
well mine had a miss down low in the rpm's like 2000 and below. i replaced the plugs wires and packs and it went away for a while and cam backl turned out to be the heater hose that goes into the passenger side of the intake manifold was leaking and it fillled the # 4 and partial #3 spark plug holes with coolant and it shorted out but now that i did the pi swap with new intake manifold everything is all good now. I really didnt figure it out untill i saw a few drips of coolant in the snow by the passengers back side of the motor thid past winter. so that is an idea

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
BrandoGT said:
well mine had a miss down low in the rpm's like 2000 and below. i replaced the plugs wires and packs and it went away for a while and cam backl turned out to be the heater hose that goes into the passenger side of the intake manifold was leaking and it fillled the # 4 and partial #3 spark plug holes with coolant and it shorted out but now that i did the pi swap with new intake manifold everything is all good now. I really didnt figure it out untill i saw a few drips of coolant in the snow by the passengers back side of the motor thid past winter. so that is an idea
hmm, ill inspect that, by the way, what year is your mustang. I know the 1997 -through 2001 had coolant leakent problems (i thnk problem fixed in 2001). mine is a 96 and supposedly has no coolant leak problem, but i will check into it anyways.

BrandoGT

Reaction score
yeah mine is a 96 as well, actuall the back 2 spark plug boots on the passenger right side had a rusty color dus on them as well and before i changed the plugs and wires the stock plugs had the same color on them and looked kinda nasty, unfortunatly my car sat on the lot for a year before i bought it so i think it got the piss beat out of it from test drives because i had to replace the tranny after a week of owning it. so there are a few things here and there but it runs good now

S

scarface

driftingmustang said:
Scarface said:
oh check engine light. well, it is no longer on. it went off and hasnt come back.
THe code is still stored, go to your local parts store and have them read the code.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
Scarface said:
driftingmustang said:
Scarface said:
THe code is still stored, go to your local parts store and have them read the code.
tried that at autozone already and they said they could only tell me if a sesor is bad. maybe thats just them, ill go to advanced auto tommorow then. besides, the woman at auto zone was an automotive retard that didnt know what a miss is.

S

scarface

ok, I can understand them not being able to tell you how to fix the problem, but if they read the codes they would have given you a CEL number. They print it out for you.

ripper

Reaction score
Change your wires. On humid days the dampness (water is a conductor) helps a bad wire. Also you may have a worn boot and it is arcing from one post to the other. Wires before you do anything else. Always look at the easiest, cheapest solutions first. Def keep us updated it looks like others have this same problem.

OP
OP
D

driftingmustang

Reaction score
Scarface said:
ok, I can understand them not being able to tell you how to fix the problem, but if they read the codes they would have given you a CEL number. They print it out for you.
thats what i said too but she was like "no" so i said"u guys were able to tell me when my o2 sensor was bad (done by a diffrent person) she was like, that's about it, also your engine light isnt even on. i gave up at that point but i goona go to a diffrent parts store right now because there were other things i asked and she was an idiot.

and ill definatley keep updating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WickedSharp