Rear End Help? I Need a Spacer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5-oh-MUSTANG, Sep 7, 2014.

1. 5-oh-MUSTANG

5-oh-MUSTANG Well-Known Member

Ok i was wanting to get a small spacer to make my 295 flush with my fender because they sit a tad bit in. But i ended up noticing that my driver side tire has been rubbing on the inside because it sits more "in" than my passenger side. The passenger side is not rubbing and has enough clearance and sits more "out" than the other side. Im just wondering why in the world its like that? It looks like i would definitely be needing a spacer now. What size should i go with? I was thinking 3/8" but i was reading online im going to need to change my wheel studs which im not doing. So any help on the rear end and spacer size?
    Here are some pics of the rubbing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I have 3/4" spacers on the rear with my 295's. Nicely enough those spacers came with new studs in place so I didn't have to get extended ones. Going with anything over 3/8 will require longer studs though, which are honestly not that mad. They are pretty cheap for a set of 10. A rule of thumb is you should be able to get 6 or 1/2" of thread when putting the lug nuts on. Also, you can be a cheap bastard like me and modify everything but the wheel. My inner fenders/liner are cut and hammered in for clearance. I'm pretty sure you could make clearance for the wheel if you wanted to.

3. 5-oh-MUSTANG

Say if i go 1/4" spacer i wouldn't need extended studs right? That would help my rubbing but would it make it flush?

4. Ferocious

Anything under 5/16" and you won't need extended studs so 1/4" is fine. Whether it will sit flush is up to you to figure out. Grab a piece of string and measure from the edge of the tire to where you want it to be. That is how big of a spacer you want.

5. 5-oh-MUSTANG

I totally forgot they make a 5/16". Im probably gonna go with that. Is any universal make fine?

6. Ferocious

As long as it accommodates 114.3x5 then yes. I got mine off American Muscle for like $22 shipped. I'm sure ebay has them for cheaper.

7. the.greg

the.greg Well-Known Member

I know you said your trying to get a more flush wheel fitment, but if clearance is your primary concern you may be able to clear the tires if you just take a hammer and beat the inner fender well in a bit where the rubbing is happening. I had similar rubbing with some 315s and the problem went away after I took a hammer to the problem area.

8. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

Not sure about how much spacer you need. Hang a washer off a string, tape it to the body above the rear wheelwell at the top, measure from the string to the tire/wheel.

The reason your rear is off center because you still have stock LCAs and probably UCAs. Even with good bushings, they're most likely not perfectly centered. Crappy 4 link.

9. 5-oh-MUSTANG

Yea most likely just that. Weight jackers will hopefully fix that soon. Ordered 5/16" spacers. Thanks guys.

10. Tony

Tony Legend

o'rielley and autozone sell 5/16" spacers for ford patterns...just an fyi

11. 96gt4.6

96gt4.6 Member

i noticed you already ordered spacers but i was going to suggest getting a few thin washers and put them on the lugs then put the wheel on and add or remove washers till you get the wheel where you want it, then just measure the amount of washers for the size of spacer you would want