Regular Vortech air inlet assemply VS a power pipe

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Can anyone school me on the main differences and pros and cons of these. If I am not mistaken, they both are the same thing, but a power pipe has better flow and produces more power? I'm in the process of piecing together a vortech v2 kit so would it be dumb to go for a regular air inlet assembly instead of a power pipe? Im under the impression that both run to the fenderwell to your maf and air filter, but from what I've read, its easier to get more boost with a power pipe.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Just looking for opinions/advice

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
The Vortech piping is a MAJOR bottle neck. If you have a welder, all you need is a 4" U bend to make a power pipe. Is this going on a 5.0 or 4.6?

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
I know that when I bought my Vortech it had all the stock pipes and I built my own "powerpipes" for it. The guy said it made 8psi on his basically stock car but it makes 14psi on mine with no other change.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I know that when I bought my Vortech it had all the stock pipes and I built my own "powerpipes" for it. The guy said it made 8psi on his basically stock car but it makes 14psi on mine with no other change.

Yeah looking at the stock vortech inlet, its kind of a piece of crap. Little plastic piece running from the blower then into another plastic duct flimsy type thing

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure on yours but for the pushrods there are two different power pipes available. one has the bypass valve and the supercharger/intake pipe and the other is missing those two pieces and is specifically just a intake for the charger. I got just the intake/cheaper version and now I am getting ready to make my own to go between the head/intake. I just got a 75mm(to match my intake) aluminum pipe with a 45 degree bend and a couple of weld in bungs for my meth kit and the bypass valve. As they said above the plastic piece that comes with the vortech to go between the head unit and intake is pretty mickey mouse....... Another difference with the power pipes is that they are ceramic coated for help with cooling.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Where would you get that main pipe with the two bends on it from?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its not unheard of for them to come up used for a better price. If you are not in a hurry keep your eyes open and one should pop up. I got lucky and it came with my kit as I got it new/used but I would say its worth the upgrade. I was surprised the plastic piece on the pushrod kit was not even as wide as the 70mm stock cobra intake so all the work I did porting it to 75mm to match the TB was useless because of that plastic piece.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score

That may work, only thing is I know that the power pipe has two connections on it that I would need to figure out how to put onto the new piece of pipe (which should be no problem). But the anderson power pipe is actually a straight piece of pipe with a 45 on each end, instead of in the middle, so fitting it might be a little tricky

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
You can just make it however you want but that eBay link makes it easy and can save some $$.

i built mine out of stuff I had laying around and for my bypass I just bored a hole in both pieces, threaded in some 1" pipe and epoxied those in.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can either drill/tap the holes you need or like I did just get some threaded bungs and find someone that can weld them in. By the look of it you would probably need to weld 2-45 degree pieces together and then the bungs. might take a little bit of searching to find a place that welds aluminum but its not impossible. If you can't you can always get the pieces cut/fit and then send them to me and my guy can finish them up for you.

Also $42+shipping for an aluminum mandrel bent pipe is a little high imo. I got mine off of ebay, polished and shipped I think for under $30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.