Removing Headlights/Clip Won't Budge!

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
ok I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't throw some clear rtv or something else in there. Please understand I am not trying to talk down to you I just want to make sure you see the clips you need to push and know what needs to be compressed to work? When I zoom in on them I don't see a single scratch/mark on them to show that the wrench/ratchet was pushed down over it to compress it. Try the wrench again and see if you can twist it a few degrees one way or another while pushing. Its possible that the angle of the wrench matched up with where the tabs are not and the tighter portion of the wrench just needed to be a few degrees to the side.
I have been wrenching on cars since I was in HS and I just turned 53. I have done everything from full rotisserie every nut and bolt resto's to cosmetic and everything in-between. Not saying I have seen it all, but in the same breath, I have only spent about 15 total minutes on this project due to work/weather. I will concentrate on it this weekend and see what I can come up with! ;)

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
After repeating all previous steps, I decided that the definition of insanity was taking place. So, I decided to go surgical and used a small screwdriver and hammer. Tappy tap tap and off the tabs came. Took about 5 min. per side and they are off. Now I can finish buffing the front bumper and install the new Cobra style headlights with black housing. Changing my pony to black chrome as well. Will go well with my black chrome wheels too!

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
And this is why I replaced those compression ones with the tab slot ones when I swapped out my headlights. I usually put the end that goes through the subframe with the slot horizontal so when I need to take the retaining clip off you can do it with a flathead screwdriver.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Completed the install yesterday, still have to get those bastard clips on, but they look good. Fitment on the inside closest to the grille is less favorable with gaps being a little to large for my taste though. I will take some pictures today as the sun is out. These are the Axial Cobra clear with black housings.........

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a little inconsistency on fitment between each side. One side lined up with the fender. The other was off about 1/2” +/-EF1531B8-B5FC-4270-9713-D8EE018E81DE.jpeg3F206444-9FCE-4B61-A36C-8850DFC734F8.jpeg
passenger side just a tad off vs drivers side. Gap may settle in once I adjust them. We’ll see. All that being said, I’m fine with a little gap difference if the headlights light up the road well!

Last edited:

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
I used a headlight adjustment tool to pull the headlights back into alignment with the frame. I will warn you if you try that method the stress on the black retaining clips will probably be too much and cause them to break

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Yeah, I am hoping once they are aligned the fitment will look better.............

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 5

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I bought a tool kit from ford that aims the light and sets the correct position
Then the kit disappeared
It walk off that kit was bad ass covered all ford vehicles

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
I noticed a little inconsistency on fitment between each side. One side lined up with the fender. The other was off about 1/2” +/-View attachment 15059View attachment 15060
passenger side just a tad off vs drivers side. Gap may settle in once I adjust them. We’ll see. All that being said, I’m fine with a little gap difference if the headlights light up the road well!
Your car is black, which hides those gaps if any. You're lucky! ;)

Monday

Reaction score
I noticed a little inconsistency on fitment between each side. One side lined up with the fender. The other was off about 1/2” +/-View attachment 15059View attachment 15060
I had the same problem. Yesterday I shimmed up the lights and it looks ok I guess...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 2

Monday

Reaction score
I gotta be more organized. I started at the end of the conversation... :D

These are yesterday's before shots...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1

Monday

Reaction score
its a 4.5mm if I remember correctly and I think there is enough space for it. I got one of the tools made for it and it ended up locked onto the rod and would not come off....

Quarter inch drive and 4mm socket to adjust them. I aimed mine at night off a wall on my house. Clockwise = up Counter = Down... on mine anyway.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
the corner lights can be a pain once and a while, the Maine reason is the black seal at the top filling the gap
then adjusting it to the headlight is a pain
main reason i have one piece head light

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
the corner lights can be a pain once and a while, the Maine reason is the black seal at the top filling the gap
then adjusting it to the headlight is a pain
main reason i have one piece head light
Those fit very nicely, it was the main's that left a little to be desired....... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt