Removing window tint?

COORSSTANG

Reaction score
What is the correct procedure for removing window tint from the back window, thus NOT DAMAGING the DEFROST LINES?

Bub

Reaction score
i use a fair dryer and warm water and dawn no blades

Sent From Tapatalk Between shifts

Walking Tall

Reaction score
It's a *****. I used a steamer and razor. No way that stuff was coming off without it.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did a shop put it on for you? Most shops will take it off for free as long as they installed it.

chris91

Reaction score
I know it sounds a little extreme but lacquer thinner will get the sticky shit off. Just make sure you don't have your rag soaked in it where its dripping everywhere because it WILL eat plastic. It smells for a little while but its tolerable.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I was always able to remove it with hot water and a razor blade. Then used goo gone to remove to residue

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know it sounds a little extreme but lacquer thinner will get the sticky shit off. Just make sure you don't have your rag soaked in it where its dripping everywhere because it WILL eat plastic. It smells for a little while but its tolerable.

this will take care of it no problem..just be real careful like chris said

chris91

Reaction score
Is it bad that I love the smell of it? lol That and fresh paint just smells so damn good. haha My years of detailing for a body shop did that.

RichV

Reaction score
My race car had a tint job that I removed. It's a PITA, but this WORKS! No harsh chemicals, and mine peeled off very easily.

Spray down the rear window from the inside with windex. Get it nice and wet. Then take 1 or 2 black trashbags and stick them to the windex from the inside. Get the whole window covered with the black bags. Then let it sit in the sun for 4+ hours. The longer the better. The tint will soften up and you'll be able to pick and peel it off, go slow and get the largest pieces possible.

I didn't care about the defrost on mine, when I started I tried chemicals like mineral spirits, razor blades, heat gun, everything worked a little, but nothing worked great, or easy. I probably spent 2-3 hours with the other techniques, the trash bag technique I was done within 30 minutes.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
We tried the trash bag first on mine. It was sunny but just too cold for it to work.

Above118

Reaction score
SIMPLE GREEN & a sponge....easiest way i have ever removed tint... and the simple green is safe on fabric,plastic glass..ect. and smells great.lol

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mple green is safe on fabric,plastic glass..ect. and smells great.lol

i can vouch for this..we used to pretty much only use SIMPLE GREEN at the other shop i was at..cleans everything great and isnt harmful on anything (at least the general areas of an interior) ive used it on yet.....dunno about the tint tho..never used it for that

Above118

Reaction score
Worked flawless for me on tint..i wont recommend anything i haven't tried. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online