Review on Bassani Catback- Not what i wanted it to be.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Alright guys i had this full catback on for 2 days now.

This is the clip i love and has drawn me to Bassani for over 4 years ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgYBlHM7v4

Now that i have bassani i just came to realize these mufflers are basically flowmaster delta series. What i mean by that is there is almost 0 interior sound from the mufflers and full blown crazy awesome exterior sound. Now for some this is better than sex, but when your coming from a loud all around setup it kind of urks you.

Here is a video of my car i took yesterday with the catback it sounds amazing outside (the sound quality is very low and muffles the tone) : http://youtu.be/IRUP2M2xK6o?t=21s

But in reality this is what you hear you inside. http://youtu.be/W5IQsKvS8AQ?t=20s

IMO it doesn't sound amazing inside at all.

Now here is my question for bassani cb owners. Would a H/C/I wake up the inside muffler volume of the car or do these mufflers just put all the sound outside when your using full tailpipes and none inside.

I seen numerous threads of people selling there bassani systems and i bet this why. It doesn't sound like anything inside... to be honest it sounds like a stock h pipe mustang with flowmasters which is QUIET.

Im not giving up on this system what so ever and will continue with it. The journey is starting now. Longtubes and H/C/I/. and i really hope it makes this bassani system sound like hell on earth aka the white mustang in the 1st youtube clip.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
When i had heads and cam my Bassani had some interior drone but the tone inside the car is usually different than what you hear outside. You maybe have the advantage with a convertible as you'll hear more of the tailpipe sound with the top down. But yes they do have a bit of a chambered sound, i found at WOT they scream a lot better than Flowmasters though.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
When i had heads and cam my Bassani had some interior drone but the tone inside the car is usually different than what you hear outside. You maybe have the advantage with a convertible as you'll hear more of the tailpipe sound with the top down. But yes they do have a bit of a chambered sound, i found at WOT they scream a lot better than Flowmasters though.
Its 20 degrees outside but i been really tempted to drop the top and listen these mufflers. My GF insisted ill get pulled over and given a sobriety test.

Oynx when had the setup was it stock quiet inside or was it similar to the inside video i posted in the 1st post? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5IQsKvS8AQ&feature=youtu.be&t=20s
It does have alittle drone. (baffles are removed btw)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
wasn't even close to stock quiet, the drone was rather prominent. As hard as it is to tell from a video that is obviously a good bit louder than stock. Stock exhaust really isn't very audible esp inside the car.

The tailpipe baffles do reduce drone but they also change the sound of the exhaust which I didn't like.

97GT03SVT

Reaction score
Hi Twista, I had a similar issue when I put a Bassani cat-back on my 03 Cobra. It was slightly louder than stock and still quieter than my 97 GT with a Borla cat-back. The following Spring I noticed the exhaust got much louder... I don't know if it was because it got more miles out of it or it simply being older but it is now noticeably louder than my GT. I think yours will get louder but you may need to wait a little.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Hi Twista, I had a similar issue when I put a Bassani cat-back on my 03 Cobra. It was slightly louder than stock and still quieter than my 97 GT with a Borla cat-back. The following Spring I noticed the exhaust got much louder... I don't know if it was because it got more miles out of it or it simply being older but it is now noticeably louder than my GT. I think yours will get louder but you may need to wait a little.

Might be. Only issue with this is i brought it used so i have no idea how many miles is on it. The baffles in the tips were pitch black with soot so they have miles on them.

This sytem is staying on for awhile. Went thru hell with it lol. Hopefully it does change. If not im sure the H/C/I will wake it up

joekd

Reaction score
Its 20 degrees outside but i been really tempted to drop the top and listen these mufflers. My GF insisted ill get pulled over and given a sobriety test.

Dont listen to her, just put on the gloves and hat and do it

I took my car to a holiday light show one year (huge park where you drive through and see all the light displays) it was about 2 degrees out but the roads were clean so my son and I bundled up and went

Funny part was the lady working there said we weren't the first ones to come through there in a vert with the top down. I said this season, she said no, I meant today. So much for my originality.

Back on topic, I knew the only 2 possible catbacks I wanted on my vert were LM's or Magnapacks, to this day I am glad I went with the Magnapacks. The sound of those with my catted X is exactly what I wanted.

Redford

Reaction score
I don't really hear the difference in sound, honestly. It sounds about the same to me from the interior vs. outside to me, just quieter inside. The biggest difference is accelerating from a stop, sounds a lot deeper and throatier on the outside. It does sound better than my Flowmasters, wish I could have found some Bassanis.

96gtsleeper

Reaction score
hey twista. i had the same issue when i had installed my flowmasters super 44s i already had an xpipe and headers in the car when i put them in is was kind of quiet with the LTs and xpipe. but when i installed the mufflers it did get louder but not as i was expecting. it was actually very dorment at idle. in full thottle it was a whole different sound. then last year i did the pi swap and cams. it was a whole different sound also much more aggresive but also mild. i have a friend with a 95 cobra running the slp loudmouths and at full throttle, and his being almost fully built u cant tell them very much apart. (only at full throttle). To be honest i did wanted an aggresive and lound sound, but got really use to the sleeper sound ive had lots of cars try to show off and get a lovely look at the tails lol. not every car though. my baby gets lots of respect thought especially the sound.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you still have cats on the car? Do you have to have them.
an O/R mid pipe will definately wake up the db's.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Nope its O/R X. Im coming from a deafening open end muffler with no tailpipes just exiting from under the passenger seat to tail pipes.. so maybe im deaf lol. I doubt it. Bassani def. aren't loud on a stock engine... Sounds like a 4.6L with stock H and flowmaster mufflers inside. My soultion on the 4.6 to fix that was to get an o/r pipe but i cant do that here because i already have it on the 5.0.

Mustanger

Reaction score
My 94 5.0 with stock cats & Magnapacks is about perfect for me...very loud at WOT but a nice deep rumble at idle & cruising speeds. I can easily hold a conversation at freeway speeds...absolutely love my packs!

Echo

Reaction score
Dont listen to her, just put on the gloves and hat and do it

I took my car to a holiday light show one year (huge park where you drive through and see all the light displays) it was about 2 degrees out but the roads were clean so my son and I bundled up and went

Funny part was the lady working there said we weren't the first ones to come through there in a vert with the top down. I said this season, she said no, I meant today. So much for my originality.

Back on topic, I knew the only 2 possible catbacks I wanted on my vert were LM's or Magnapacks, to this day I am glad I went with the Magnapacks. The sound of those with my catted X is exactly what I wanted.
Very off topic but I did the same thing this year. Got quite a few jealous looks too. Cold as hell but worth it all the way. Took the dogs with us, they love the lights.

chris91

Reaction score
My Bassani isn't quiet at all. I do have the prochamber h pipe though. Once I added the heads and cams it really woke up. Sounds perfect to me. This is with stock manifolds too. Hopefully mine is going on a 03 Cobra soon, might be trading off my SRA for a IRS. :) Then I'll be stuck with a Flomaster setup until tax time, then I'll pick up another stainless Bassani setup so I can see the sexy tails. :)

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I think that sounds perfect. I don't think there is any way you'll get any system will tailpipes to be as loud as dumps.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
It might be the tailpipes. I been without tails for almost a year now.. so maybe im just use to all the sound being right by my ear.

I did make a video with the open bassani and it was kind of loud---> http://youtu.be/CJ6vRTnOQtU?t=2m25s

Then i got the full tails on and it turned to this ---> http://youtu.be/73MPXFOXOrk?t=1m8s
Which is not acceptable when your use to open end mufflers lol.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Umm this is the 1st time i can hear my tranny whine since i owned this car. Might get some Bassani Street Comp mufflers or race mufflers. These might be the wrong muffler. Quiet thunder came with there catback... Right? Crap i dont know, but i might have to order some different bassani muffler. I feel disconnected from the car while driving. Not fun anymore when you gunning the throttle and you just hear the transmission whining inside.

lrall

Reaction score
hmmm...maybe i need to look into these. i have MAC mufflers wit an O/R X, it is LOUD; which is fun until I have to drive to work everyday...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online