Right PSI for staggered tires?

Jman2025

Reaction score
I'm looking to run 265/35r18s in the front and 285/35r18s on the back for my '03. I'm currently stuck on what psi level I should be going for, for these tires (and whether it's x psi for all 4, or different levels for the rear).

Any help would be appreciated.

PDubism

Reaction score
I run around 40 psi (cold) on all 4.
I have 245/40x19 front & 275/40x19 rear

Attachments

• IMG_0751.png
    IMG_0751.png
    826.3 KB · Views: 4

ctandc

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that air pressure in tires depends on a lot of factors (chassis or car in question, weight, weight of cargo driver / tires etc). Honestly the way I've done it for years is to get a load rating table from the manufacturer who makes the tires you are using - there are also psi calculators that help.

Look up the original load range (door tag which lists factory tire type and recommended pressure). Then get the load range from your current tires and go from there.

You can also use this

I will tell you that most people use way too much psi in their tires. Funny story about tire pressure. I bought a 1st gen Miata for $150. Yes you read that right. $150. It was the price offered by the scrap yard a friend's neighbor was taking it to. Supposedly it had a blown head gasket. Nope - it had a busted radiator hose and a few other small things wrong with it. it. It DID however have brand new tires just put on at a local tire shop. First test ride I just KNEW something was messed up in the suspension of that car. It was ALL over the road.

Turns out that Miata called for like 26 or something psi from the factory. New tires were at 40psi. Lowered the pressure. Car drive / handled great. Sold it the next week for $1500.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Jman2025

Jman2025

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that air pressure in tires depends on a lot of factors (chassis or car in question, weight, weight of cargo driver / tires etc). Honestly the way I've done it for years is to get a load rating table from the manufacturer who makes the tires you are using - there are also psi calculators that help.

Look up the original load range (door tag which lists factory tire type and recommended pressure). Then get the load range from your current tires and go from there.

You can also use this

I will tell you that most people use way too much psi in their tires. Funny story about tire pressure. I bought a 1st gen Miata for $150. Yes you read that right. $150. It was the price offered by the scrap yard a friend's neighbor was taking it to. Supposedly it had a blown head gasket. Nope - it had a busted radiator hose and a few other small things wrong with it. it. It DID however have brand new tires just put on at a local tire shop. First test ride I just KNEW something was messed up in the suspension of that car. It was ALL over the road.

Turns out that Miata called for like 26 or something psi from the factory. New tires were at 40psi. Lowered the pressure. Car drive / handled great. Sold it the next week for $1500.

Hope this helps.
That is crazy luck, man. But I appreciate the information, it helped give me ideas.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was having issues trying to figure out what pressure to use when I got my newest wheels a few years back. What I finally ended up doing was that I noticed that they were leaving some marks on the garage floor from just rolling in/out and figured that the pressure was low. I upped the tire pressure 5 lbs at a time till it stopped leaving marks from rolling and it did help the handling

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online